We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wai-o-tapu and Rainbow Springs in one day

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wai-o-tapu and Rainbow Springs in one day

Is it possible to do both of these in one day?

We are staying at Golden Springs so we thought we could set out early do Wai-o-tapu for the morning (4 hours or so). Then lunch and do Rainbow springs in the afternoon (And I read they are open until late).

Any opinions or suggestions welcomed...

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wai-o-tapu and Rainbow Springs in one day

You will have plenty of time to do Wai-o-tapu in a morning.Just remember you must park in one area in order to see the Lady Knox geyser at 10.15 (I believe) if of course you want to see it erupt.Get there early enough for good viewing seats.

Then you must move your car to the main parking lot for the actual park.You can go round this quite easily in a couple of hours.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wai-o-tapu and Rainbow Springs in one day

You do need to purchase a ticket at the main Waiotapu building before being directed to the geyser site. It erupts at 10.15 a.m. and as there may be long queues, it is best to be early to purchase your ticket.

You can purchase lunch at Waiotapu or at Rainbow Springs or stop at the New World supermarket on Old Taupo Road and buy a picnic lunch. You could eat this in Kuirau Park where there are lakes, mudpools, footbath and lovely gardens.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wai-o-tapu and Rainbow Springs in one day

Thank you for the advise on the Lady Knox... definitely want to see that. And also about the idea of the picnic that sounds great. I remember the New World Supermarkets... Its the sort of thing I would of done with my Nana and Grandad when they spent their retirement years in Tauranga. Sounds beautiful.

Will it make it easier to take our GPS with us or is everything sign posted really well (coming from someone who does not read maps too well).

Derby,UK
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wai-o-tapu and Rainbow Springs in one day

Hi,

Don't forget to check out the "free to view" mud pools off on a side road on the way in to Wai-o-Tapu (about 5mins drive from the main entrance).

They are pretty cool to see..

Cheers...

Auckland
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wai-o-tapu and Rainbow Springs in one day

A quick stop at Kerosine Creek, near Waiotapu, is magic too. It's a thermal river, with waterfall, surrounded by native bush (& pine). On your way back to Rotorua via SH5, just 2km north of the Waiotapu turnoff, on the RHS.(38*19'17"S, 176*22'21"E) Look for a small bridge with a shingle road beside it, maybe another 2km down that metal road on right.

Perfect for a gypsy to relax in! Image (not mine sorry) here: …google.com/alison.schroth/NZ2007Rotorua/pho…

If you have a rental, ask for GPS or take your own. Google Earth knows most NZ spots to find LatLon addys, you could find places easier with that than many locals could!

6. Re: Wai-o-tapu and Rainbow Springs in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 08:18