We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua Vs Taupo

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rotorua Vs Taupo

Hey Everyone~

I am planning to go to NZ for my honeymoon in December. I wanted to choose between Rotorua and Taupo to spend 2-3 nights - Can you please suggest which one is better? Also, other must dos would be great!

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotorua Vs Taupo

It is not easy to say that one is better than other when you have not stated what your interests are. Are you sightseers, adrenalin junkies, walkers,trampers,want to fish,etc? Do you want luxury , romantic, rustic,or secluded accommodation?

Both Rotorua and Taupo are centrally situated so it is possible to do day trips from either. It is about an hour's drive from Rotorua to Taupo.

Lots of choice for activities in either place.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotorua Vs Taupo

For my honeymoon I would choose Taupo- as long as it's in a secluded spot with views over the lake. Although if you're wanting to spend the whole time out and about checking out all the attractions then Rotorua would win. With them both within easy reach you'll be able to do a day trip to the other anyway.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rotorua Vs Taupo

I fequently visit bopth Rotorua and Taupo.

For seclusion and romance and I would say better restaurants, I would go for Taupo. For adventure, more things to do and of course thermal and cultural attractions then Rotorua would probably be the choice.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rotorua Vs Taupo

hey thanks for your replies..

Basically looking out for good restaurants/cafes and a romantic setting. Dont want to do too much sightseeing and cultural activities. Would like to do sky diving.. and a visit to the thermal pools/spa

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rotorua Vs Taupo

Taupo would be preferable to Rotorua. Beautiful lake, great cafes and restaurants. You can go sky-diving, pararsailing and the Taupo Hot Springs are 5 mins drive from the town. Charter cruises on the lake and great sunsets in the summer.

6. Re: Rotorua Vs Taupo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 08:24