We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua vs Waiotapu vs Te Puia

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
richmond, british...
Level Contributor
57 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Rotorua vs Waiotapu vs Te Puia

Cruising New Zealand in November. Renting car on arrival at port and driving to this area. Can anyone suggest which is best site to highlight thermal activity? Won't have time to do all three sites (only have about 7 hours until ship departs, so suggestions welcome.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotorua vs Waiotapu vs Te Puia

I presume you are coming in at Tauranga so the drive to Rotorua is not that long (just over an hour). Have you organised the car already? Not too many rental companies deal out of the ports so you may have to go into town first to sort that out.

Rotorua is the town you'll be going to and then from there you can choose your sites.

Te Puia is a good general introduction to both geothermal activity and Maori Culture. It is a large and very popular tourist attraction and you can be sure a fair number of your cruise ship buddies will be there. Wai O Tapu is certainly the better and more interesting of the two in my opinion. Both are different though so you would not be doubling up that much if you did tackle both.

Wai O Tapu is located 20 minutes out of town in the opposite direction that you'll be coming from whereas Te Puia is right in town.

Good on you for breaking away from the crowd just don't overdo it, you wouldn't want to miss the boat!

Saint Joseph...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotorua vs Waiotapu vs Te Puia

Your options are between Te Puia, Waiotapu and waimangu. I have seen all 3 and my choice, if I have to pick one, is waiotapu. It has every variety and the views are much closer... ensure you cover the lady knox geyser and the mud pools on your way.

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rotorua vs Waiotapu vs Te Puia

The Lady Knox geyser at Wai-O-Tapu goes off at 10.15 each day and is 20 minutes south of Rotorua on the main road to Taupo. I don't think you will make this one in time. Te Pui might be the best option for you.

richmond, british...
Level Contributor
57 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rotorua vs Waiotapu vs Te Puia

Thank you for the advice. Looking forward to it. The entire country looks beautiful!

5. Re: Rotorua vs Waiotapu vs Te Puia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 22:17