We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maori hangi experience

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
maori hangi experience

hello,

We have a Friday night in Rotorua and would love to do the cultural/hangi experience.

We will not be arriving in Rotorua until around 6-6.30.

does anyone know of one that starts later in the evening?

Thanks in advance,

P@

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maori hangi experience

If you are coming from Auckland you will be passing right by Mitai's front door. Their welcome and introduction(before the hangi) starts at 6:30pm, if you know you'll be there by then you could stop in on your way- call ahead and confirm a late check in for your accommodation.

mitai.co.nz/Mitai_Maori_Village/…6692_.html

Tamaki Village is about 15 minutes south of Rotorua and catching their bus to the performance is a bit part of the experience so I would think you'll be a little late for that show.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maori hangi experience

Thanks for the reply,

we are driving up from Wellington, leaving there around noon.

Staying at the Novotel.

thanks again,

P@

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maori hangi experience

That's a long way to drive especially on a Friday(hopefully not the beginning of a holiday weekend)- 6.5hrs would be the bare minimum to get you there on time. If you take SH5 from taupo to Rotorua you will passing Tamaki Maori Village and I suppose you could do without the bus trip if you really want to see a show and have a hangi although on their site they say they would still like to collect you from town. You could ask if it's OK to stop on the way through.

maoriculture.co.nz/PicsHotel/…

There are a few other shows and hangis on in Rotorua city here's a list-

rotoruanz.com/culture/hangi-and-concert-dire…

Personally I think you'll be pushing it to get there in time.

Mentioned in this post
Tamaki Maori Village
Tamaki Maori Village
4,128 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maori hangi experience

Thank you for your advice.

My husband has re-organised his accommodation so we stay at Napier on friday night & Rotorua and Saturday night, before heading to Auckland.

Just one more question - everyone seems to have a different answer - which is the most authentic show to visit? One not just to entertain the tourists but have a real grounding in the culture.

P@

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maori hangi experience

You're right, everyone has a different answer, mine is Mitai, it just seemed a bit more authentic to me(I have been to Tamaki and Te Puia and a long while ago saw one at the Heritage Hotel). At Mitai you were made to feel more like "family" visiting that part of the audience watching.

But really all of the shows are done for the tourist/visitor. I think they all give you a good insight into Maori culture and certainly the singing and haka are spine tingling no matter where you hear them. I believe food regulations have "killed" the true hangi but I don't think you're missing too much(I've never seen the appeal- too many as a kid :) Everything ends up tasting of the same thing........dirt! OK that might be a bit harsh but memories are memories........

There was a local marae that did authentic maori culture tours but the one I know of stopped. I'll see if I can find any others.

Mentioned in this post
Te Puia
Te Puia
4,401 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maori hangi experience

I am afraid any show put on for an audience will always been seen as 'touristy' but as you are one of many wanting to enjoy a 'hangi' and learn about the Maori people, this really cannot be avoided.

Mitai is the most 'natural' and if you take the 'Combo' tour, you also get a guided tour of Rainbow Springs Nature Park at night time. You would be very unlucky not to see Kiwi in their large enclosure as they are a nocturnal bird as well as the tuatara (N.Z.'s 'dinosaur') and other birds and small animals, etc.

If your time in Rotorua is limited to one day, you may not have time to visit any thermal sights so seeing a cultural show at Te Puia ( the evening performance is called Te Po) would be worthwhile as you also get the chance to see Pohutu Geyser erupting at night.

You really need to be in Rotorua before 6 p.m.

An alternative is to see a much shorter show during the day at Te Puia or Whakarewarewa.

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Springs Nature Park
Rainbow Springs Nature...
1,687 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Te Puia
Te Puia
4,401 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maori hangi experience

Thank you both for your replies.

We will drive from napier early enough to get to the saturday evening show & then have a look at the thermal area on the sunday before driving to Auckland.

What a shame my husband's work gets in the way of a good holiday :-) I am only tagging along on a work visit after all.

thank you once again, I love TA for all the wonderful people here.

P@

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: maori hangi experience

One more question, sorry.

I know the map is deceiving, approx how long would it take from napier to rotorua?

P@

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: maori hangi experience

It will take you approx 3hrs, the Napier-Taupo road is very scenic but has quite alot of twists and turns and climbing up over two ranges.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: maori hangi experience

thanks zappers