We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Maori Cultural performance is best?

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Which Maori Cultural performance is best?

Which Maori Cultural performance is best if you can choose only one? Is it Mitaki, Tamaki, Te Po Maori Cultural or Pohutu Cultural Theatre? My husband and I will be in Rotorua in January for two nights and we would like to experience one of these shows.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kathy In Oregon

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Maori Cultural performance is best?

Mitai is my favourite, it has the added attraction of the waka(canoe) arriving and also the Kiwi encounter/bush walk at night. Kill two birds with one stone! Excuse the pun ;)

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,947 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Maori Cultural performance is best?

We didn't book ahead, so had to take what was left. We'd have liked to do the Mitai performance, as we heard such good comments about it, although our's was very enjoyable. I didn't hear anyone say the one they saw was poor, though.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Maori Cultural performance is best?

Mitai is my favourite too but Tamaki and Te Po come close behind. I think it is being able to do the Combo tour of Mitai and Rainbow Springs that give this one the edge over competitors.

I think whichever one you choose will still prove to be a memorable experience.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Maori Cultural performance is best?

I enjoyed Mitai a few weeks ago. I made a reservation in advanced (you pay when you get there). It was pouring rain that evening. They are well equipped to handle bad weather. We were passed out rain ponchos that worked very well. The Rainbow Springs tour was still facinating, even in the rain.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Maori Cultural performance is best?

We enjoyed Tamaki. We wanted to go to Matai but it was fully booked. We had a good time so I would not say that Matai is better, just different.

If you have decided on one though, book it in advance. That being said, booking what was left thru the I-Site center, we got 2 "free" tickets into Hells Gate along with the show tickets. While we enjoyed Hells Gate for about an hour or so, I was glad we did not shell out an additional $30 each for it.

6. Re: Which Maori Cultural performance is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2010, 06:16