We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Rotorua/Taupo area - best things to do?

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Clara, CA
Level Contributor
71 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 days in Rotorua/Taupo area - best things to do?

Hi,

We plan to be in the Rotorua (& Taupo?) area for 2.5-3 days. We are a couple with a toddler (19 months old). I would like some advise as to the best things to do in Rotorua and whether we should plan on taking in Taupo as well. We definitely want to do the following -

(1) visit the Agrodome & see the sheep show & organic farm tour,

(2) attend a Maori concert & hangi - was leaning towards Mitai - any suggestions?

(3) check out at least 1 (if not 2) thermal parks - I would like suggestions on the best one(s)

I also plan to go see the blue lake, the green lake, the buried village, Lake Tarawera & the Gondola.

Any advice (including a plan for all 3 days) would be very welcome. Thanks,

Urmila

Globe Trekker
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 days in Rotorua/Taupo area - best things to do?

I would definitely include Lake Taupo, the lake itself is beautiful along with Huka Falls, but also has volcanic activity. I found the Lake Taupo region a little less touristy as compared to Rotorua and of course more adventure sports around.

For Volcanic activity, Wai-o-Tapu or Orakei Korako Cave and Thermal Park (The Hidden Valley) are still the best though try Hells Gate for an off the beaten track (The Mud Spa is a nice experience). I also found the GeoThermal Power plant viewpoint at Taupo interesting. However, do check if any care needs to be taken as you are with a small child.

For Maori Experience, Rotorua has the best ones, but a good alternative is the Wairakei Terraces Maori Experience (but opens 1-2 days a week only) at Taupo.

While at Taupo, I can recommend the Taupo Hot Springs (DeBretts Spa Resort).

Cheers and have fun.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 days in Rotorua/Taupo area - best things to do?

What time do you plan on arriving in Rotorua , where are you arriving from and where are you going when you leave Rotorua? This helps when offering advice. Are you planning on taking your 19 month old to Mitai at night ( approx 3 hours) or would a shorter daytime Maori concert be more suitable?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 days in Rotorua/Taupo area - best things to do?

I think Rotorua is a great place for taking a toddler. Look at the following post for some of the things I did with my son while there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255105-i403-k3332…

Edited: 25 January 2010, 06:05
Santa Clara, CA
Level Contributor
71 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.5 days in Rotorua/Taupo area - best things to do?

We will be driving from Auckland, leaving in the morning around 9 am and hope to get to Rotorua by 1:30-2 pm. We will be driving back to Auckland 3 days later. On the way back to Auckland we may go to the Coromandel peninsula and spend a day there. I was thinking of going for the night Mitai concert as that includes the Rainbow Springs Park - I have not decided this yet. Thanks,

Urmila

Santa Clara, CA
Level Contributor
71 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.5 days in Rotorua/Taupo area - best things to do?

Hi Oskar,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I had read your post (I'm obsessively checking this forum these days! :) ) and am absolutely planning to take her to the playgrounds and the lakes you have mentioned. I will probably give the redwood forest a miss as we are coming from Northern CA where the biggest redwoods in the world are located and I can see then anytime I want, yay!

I would like advice on which thermal park(s) to choose and how to plan the trip. Since we have limited time there, I don't want to spend it backtracking around getting from A to B to C. Thanks,

Urmila

6. Re: 2.5 days in Rotorua/Taupo area - best things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 05:17