We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my kids (6,3) be able to stay in Rotorua - smell?

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Will my kids (6,3) be able to stay in Rotorua - smell?

can someone please help - Can my kids 6 and 3 with sensitive noses stay overnight in rotorua? There seems to be tons of stuff for he kids - agrodome, termals etc. that I think they will love. But I am not sure about how strong the smell is? We have Auckland as the base. We plan on renting a car and drive to Waitoma caves too.

Please advice is teh smell is too much for the kids?

Do you think we will be able to stay over night?

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will my kids (6,3) be able to stay in Rotorua - smell?

I don't think you need have any worries about your kids and their sensitive noses.

Millions of children,some no doubt with sensitive noses, have lived and played in Rotorua over the years.

If your children stuck their noses into the boiling mud they would have a problem.

The smell is not pervasive all over Rotorua but in places can be rather stronger than in others.

You may be best to find accommodation on the outskirts rather than in central Rotorua if you think the smell may cause your children problems.

I am sure that your children will have so much fun they will be unlikely to even notice the 'smell' after a couple of hours.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will my kids (6,3) be able to stay in Rotorua - smell?

i agree with the above comment. Your kids will be fine. Seriously, the smell is haf the fun of being there - makes you realise you really are somewhere different!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will my kids (6,3) be able to stay in Rotorua - smell?

Thanks so much for your replies. we ar really excited about our trip.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will my kids (6,3) be able to stay in Rotorua - smell?

Afetr a couple of hours you tend to not notice the smell, your kids will be fine. Don't even tell them about it(otherwise they'll be looking to make a fuss) and they'll just think somebody passed some wind and make a joke about it. It's not there all the time but does tend to get heavy after a shower of rain.

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will my kids (6,3) be able to stay in Rotorua - smell?

As others have said after a while you really dont notice the smell. The children spent 1/2 hour thinking it was super funny when we first arrived, thinking everybody was making nasty smells and giving people funny looks as if to say was it you!

You are right there is loads in the area to do with children - my 2 loved that part of our holiday so much, they got to see a kiwi hatch at kiwi expereince they found this fascinating. They also enjoyed seeing the bubbling mud pools.

In fact they enjoyed it so much the first question they asked when we told them we were going back next year was " can we go to the rotton egg smelling place again please"

Have a lovely holiday - its a beautiful country

Edited: 26 October 2010, 12:27
6. Re: Will my kids (6,3) be able to stay in Rotorua - smell?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2011, 05:17