We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Relocation

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Car Relocation

We're going to be in Rotorua for a few days in February. We plan to rent a car and then drive to Auckland to catch our flight back home. It seems that car rentals out of Rotorua are expensive compared to what what I've found for the South Island. Do rental companies offer free car rentals for relocations from Rotorua to Auckland or is the distance not long enough for that? Most of the relocations I've seen are for much longer distances. Thanks.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Relocation

I've never seen relocations out of Rotorua - doesn't mean they never happen. One firm worth watching is Pegasus at http://www.rentalcars.co.nz/relocation-deals as they have cars available from random places (one ex Hamilton at the moment). They'll rent a car for $450 for 10 days with free drop off in Auckland, but that's probably of no help to you.

You're running up against the fact that few of the second tier operators have Rotorua bases and the one-way fees that get charged

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Relocation

There would be no need for re locations out of Rotorua, there is much toing and froing between the cities, or people flying into Rotorua and then hiring a car to continue their holiday. The South Island is different as a lot of cars end up down there when people fly back to Auckland to fly home (and they're never "free" anyway, there is always a fee involved)

Where are you coming from (and how) before you arrive in Rotorua?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Relocation

We're renting a car and touring the south island first. We're flying from Nelson to Rotorua and spending a couple days touring Rotorua/Taupo before flying home from Auckland.

Since we'll only be in Rotorua 2.and a half days I was wondering if a car is absolutely necessary to explore the area? Are walking, local buses, taxi's etc. a viable and cheap option? Or will that be more inconvenient and end up costing as much as a one way rental in the end? It looks like bus tickets back to Auckland are very reasonably priced so I'm wondering if we can just completely avoid renting a car on the north island.

Thanks for your help.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,856 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Relocation

It is not impossible to pick up a one-way relocation as many people do the opposite (in fact here on TA it is often recommended). Here is another site to try - http://www.transfercar.co.nz/

You could spend a day or 2 in Rotorua without a car but you would be limited in what you could see as most of the thermal parks are out of town. For 1 or 2 people a day tour might not be too expensive. (Have a look at Great Sights)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Relocation

In Rotorua there are shuttles to all the major attractions that are away from the city centre including all the geothermal parks. They leave from the iSite(information centre) located in the CBD and some can collect you from your accommodation. It would be quite easy to site-see Rotorua by shuttle and tours, no need to hire a car.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Relocation

i watch the standby websites and have never seen Rotorua to anywhere as a relocation....on the Nth Is it always Wellington to either Hamilton or (more often) Auckland.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Relocation

Thanks for the info. The tours I've found online are quite expensive and by the time you add up the cost for a couple people you might as well rent a car. However, the shuttles sound perfect. Are they expensive? I haven't been able to find any info online about the local bus system. Thanks!

8. Re: Car Relocation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 06:30