We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

Christchurch...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

I have just rented a car from Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua and it was an absolute nightmare. We got a puncture in Auckland on Saturday night and when we tried to contact them to get their permission to have it fixed they would not return my calls or emails. We were effectively stuck at Auckland Airport on Sunday with just a space saver tyre and no spare and no garages open. When I finally managed to contact the owner by going to the Auckland Pegasus Rentals he was abusive and told me to call back the next day as he didn't work on Sundays.

I believe this to be a direct breach of their terms and conditions which require you to contact them before having any repairs done.

This has to be the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

How dd you fix the punctured tyre? A bit of common sense has to apply here as far as minor repairs go. For the $20 involved I would have paid to get the tyre fixed, been on my way back on holiday anmd sorted things out later. Had you been a member of the AA or State Insurance Roadside assist they would have fixed it for you.

I would have a degree of sympathy in trying to get a puncture fixed if it were an overseas visitor but a local has more options available to them.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

Welcome to the forum Fanz :)

I hate when you try to do the correct thing and you get abused for it. I wouldn't be happy either but I would have called the AA Saturday night and been on my way.

Safe travels :)

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

In NZ, how much the cost to patch(whatever you call it there) the punctured tyre? For small hole, I don't think we need to change the tyre right? Rather than risking driving around without spare tyre, I think it's wisely to just go ahead with the patch and pay it upfront. If the rental company refused to reimburses back the cost, then I think this company shouldn't be in business anyway.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

daniel one has to be a little circumspect about initial comments as we only have one side of a story. In my experience there are generally two sides to an issue and more often than not there is considerable discrepancy. Should you get a flat tyre you first obligation is to change the wheel. Continuing to drive on a flat tyre is likely to damage the wheel and thus voiding any insurance you may have as you failed to take appropriate measures to look after the vehicle. Despite the best intentions these event happen. Unless you have a zero excess on your vehicle the excess will be greater than any repair costs which are around $20 - $50 depending where and when you go to get it fixed. Tony's tyre service a nationwide tyre company repair punctures for free by the way. If you are a member of your local automobile association you may have reciprocal rights with the NZ AA who will arrange the repair for you or your car rental company may have access to the AA or State car resue as part of their hire deal.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

The poster wasn't suggesting they drove on a flat tyre - he said they had a 'space saver' spare, which allows you to drive the car, but not for long distances or at full speed.

I personally would have just gone and got the puncture fixed and sorted out the money aspect later, but that being said, none of this excuses Pegasus for not answering their phone, and/or behaving rudely towards the customer.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

It may not have been such a minor issue. It is illegal to repair tyres where the puncture is on the side or shoulder of the tyre. The tyre must be replaced. Depending on the amount of wear, it is not uncommon to be told to replace the opposite side tyre at the same time for safety.

That doesn't excuse rudeness or bad service or lack of 24 hour call centre.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

24 hour call centre from one of the cheapest places in the country is a bit unrealistic. Most of the cheaper places lack this facility, that's one of the ways to remain the cheaper places - but most do outsource emergency repair work to the AA (although Pegasus doesn't).

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

Cheaper is not always better,

Holiday on the cheap get cheap service

Auckland, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

Any issues are usually worked through and resolved amicability and honestly. All our cars have 24hr NZRA Roadside assistance and there is a sticker on the windscreen with the phone number to call. Also Under our Acceptance Of Insurance Hirers Liability it clearly states The hirers liability will be for any loss or damage to the vehicle however caused including any damage to windscreens & Tyres during the term of the hire. FranzO did get hold of us Sunday Morning through another branch a Google search revealed tyre shops that were open in Auckland on a Sunday and he was given directions.

FranO then called from the tyre shop on Sunday saying he had to replace the tyre as it had a slash in it not able to be repaired. It was agreed to bring the tyre back and if it was a fault of the tyre we would reimburse him. This hire had commenced on the 27/11/12 this happened on 01/12/12 after 5 days of driving. On return the tyre was inspected by a tyre shop and assessed the damage was caused by driver impact and was not a faulty tyre. This car had just come through a new COF on the 22/12/12 and had a new set of tyres fitted a few months earlier so we knew the tyres were all in good order . We now had a car with mismatched tyres that we will have to rectify also it will need a Wheel alignment as it has had a hard impact even damaging the hubcap on further inspection after the car was returned.

We strive to give great service and to provide a safe and reliable fleet all we ask is you pick your car up in good condition and you return it in the same condition which is what FranzO did by getting the tyre fixed. Any car faults or tyre faults we will cover but we can not be responsible for punctures or tyre damage due to customer driving skills.

Please make your own minds up when choosing to deal with us or not. All of us at the Rotorua & Tauranga Branches strive to give the best customer service around and have heaps of positive feedback unfortunately it’s the negative that is always reported.

Thanks, The Team at Pegasus Rotorua and Tauranga

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pegasus Car Rentals Tauranga and Rotorua Warning

Thanks to the Pegasus team for responding. As I stated in post #4 there are generally two sides to every story. A slit in the tyre wall from an impact is a little more than a "puncture".

I must admit to being a little peeved about car rental companies putting the blame of broken windscreens onto the client. This is becoming an increasing happening and the premium for same I am sure based on what I pay for domestic car rental would not be large if it was excess free.

Tyres I admit is difficult to quantify. But if the tread is okay at the outset it is a prettyu gfood indicator that the side walls will also be okay.