We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

so i gotta choose between Te Puia and Whakarewarewa, but assuming i go to one of those, is it reduntant to also go to Wai-O-Tapu?

or should i skip Te Puia/Whakarewarewa and just go to Wai-O-Tapu?

or both?

can someone help me decide?

thank you

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

Each park has it's own unique identity.

If your time is limited and you are not going to attend a Maori Cultural evening then I would go to Te Puia.

Whakarewarewa is a 'living' Maori village and not just a thermal area.

Wai-o-tapu, as is Waimungu, are both thermal valleys with many interesting aspects. Research them further on line and you will have a better idea whether they appeal or not. I don't think you would ever call going to Wai-o Tapu redundant.

Kuirau Park in central Rotorua is also an interesting area...free entry.

Whatever you decide, leave enough time to enjoy the many other attractions in Rotorua.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

so to be clear, youre suggesting that i can go to Te Puia/Whakarewarewa, and afterwards to Wai-O-Tapu, and not feel like, "ive already seen this"

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

Okay to clarify matters, Te Puia/Whakarewarewa are TWO different attractions and not one single attraction. I would recommend choosing one of these depending on what you want to see. If you google them you will see what each has to offer you. I, personally, would be quite happy to visit Wai-o-tapu as well, especially if I saw a cultural show at Te Puia or Whakarewarewa. Of course, if you have been to Yellowstone, USA, you may find some similarities in the thermal valley scenery. It is really an individual's choice. Internet research will help you make the choices to suit your needs.

Each thermal area has it's own character. As well there are Hell's Gate, Orakei Korako and Waimungu thermal areas.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

im leaning towards Whakarewarewa (assuming i could get a similar view of Pohutu - conflicting reports about this). so in your opinion, i will still enjoy Wai-O-Tapu, correct?

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

The view of Pohutu at Whakarewarewa is not quite as close as you get from Te Puia. Yes, Waiotapu has a large area of mudpools (free viewing); the LadyKnox geyser (but you need to be there by 10a.m. to see the geyser fed and then display): The Artist's Palette and pools of a variety of colours.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,049 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

If you don't go for the full visit of Wai-o-Tapu, do make sure you stop by the spitting mud at the mud pools mentioned by ValGee. This is a free stop outside the main entrance and one of the very interesting things to see at Wai-O-Tapu. See link (w/pictures) if useful.

Wai-O-Tapu

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Have a nice trip.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

I can remember the days when Whakarewarewa and Te Puia were but one giant park with FREE travel throughout, but the almighty dollar caused the residents of the Whaka Pa to close and lock the gates.

NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

I see you're from LA. If you've been to Yellowstone, you're going to be disappointed with the New Zealand geothermal parks. I don't want to sound snobbish, it's just the way it is. There are so many other natural beauties in New Zealand, unfortunately these areas fall a bit short.

9. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 03:05
Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

GLaker, have you been to all the geothermal parks in and around Rotorua? Which ones did you find disappointing?