We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

so i gotta choose between Te Puia and Whakarewarewa, but assuming i go to one of those, is it reduntant to also go to Wai-O-Tapu?

or should i skip Te Puia/Whakarewarewa and just go to Wai-O-Tapu?

or both?

can someone help me decide?

thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

We visited 3 geothermal parks walked around twice in some areas to take it all in. They were all fascinating and we were glad we visited them I am sorry that GLaker found them not up to NY expectations. People go on holidays to live dreams and escape the mundane. Not everyone has geothermal parks in their backyards and that is why when you visit NZ try to see as many parks as you can for they all offer pleasant memories. Think of those next time the weather is dreary at home and you are seating in some souless office dreaming of escape.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

Just a follow-up to beanb's post, we visited in January with our relatives who live in Cambrige but hadn't done the tourist thing in Rotorua for a number of years. They were quite shocked that what used to be completely free now costs NZ$ 30 per adult for Whakarewarewa, and NZ$ 57.50 for Te Puia. There were 6 of us and we decided to do Whakarewarewa only and can confirnm that at the top of the village where you used to be able to go on to view Pohutu there are now locked gates. I'm not great at estimating distances but we couldn't get within 100 yards or metres of Pohutu. A bit disappointing to be honest, but probably the only one in the whole of NZ.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
220 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

I'm from California and have been to Yellowstone three times, the last time was about 4 years ago. While in New Zealand I still tried to see as many thermal areas as I could: Orakei Korako, Te Pua, Wai-O-Tapu, and Waimangu. I was not disappointed in any of them. While none of them are as big as the areas at Yellowstone and there is no Old Faithful geyser, they are all still really beautiful and fascinating to see. It was so incredible to see thermal pools and mud pits completely surrounded by beautiful temperate rain forest. And another thing that is better is that there were no crowds. Since we were there in July we were just about the only persons on the trail. Yellowstone is closed during the winter and once the park opens the crowds flock in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

Skip the others and go to Wai-O-Tapu as it has the spectacular colors.

15. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:35
16. Re: Te Puia/Whakarewarewa & Wai-O-Tapu: Redundant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 05:17