We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

Hi,

I'll be driving to Rotorua and am interested to cover the main attractions - geothermal and maori culture and maybe some nature walks / lake visits if time permits. I have 2 days (one overnight stay)

Please advise how best to explore the region, with details about the best spots and locations.

Should I drive to specific locations, buy deals / tickets or take a package tour?

Thanks,

Kapil

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

My wishlist after exploring the attractions ... from

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g255111-Activiti…

1. Wai-o-tapu Thermal Wonderland

2. Tamaki Maori Village

3. Rotorua Museum

How much time would I need to cover these?

There seems to be lots more ... so please suggest what are must dos.

I may consider extending to more days.

From Rotorua, I'll be driving on to Tongariro for the scenic flight.

Cheers,

Kapil

Edited: 08 April 2013, 15:43
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,855 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

What are your interests? I assume that since you are only staying 1 night, most of day 1 is taken up with driving to Rotorua from ?? And half of day 2 with driving to Tongariro - where exactly are you overnighting befor ehte scenic flight. The more information you give up the more we can help you.

1. Drive to Rotorua; visit Agrodome & museum in the afternoon; Tamaki Village in the evening

2. Early start - drive around lake front, Government Gardens, Kurau Park; reach Wai-o-tapu by 10:00 for the 10:15 display of the Lady Knox geyser; continue on to Taupo for a late lunch then to Turnagi & National Park.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

The Rotorua Museum is certainly a good place to start as this will give you a perspective of how Rotorua was shaped. You will see the Government Gardens surrounding the Museum. Kuirau Park allows a free look at some of the thermal activity and is an interesting walk. Just across the way is Ohinemutu Maori Village and the attractive St Faith's church...well worth a visit. The Redwoods are great for a short or longer walk or you may like to hire a bike. The Polynesian Spa is also great if you want to soak in thermal waters. If you could extend your stay in Rotorua, you will find plenty to do.

As Zhuhai suggests, the Agrodome with the Sheep Show and Farm tour are also worthwhile.

The Duck will also take you on a couple of Rotorua's lakes.

Package deals can be purchased at the I site or your hotel on arrival.

A lot of what you choose to do and in what order will depend on the weather.

You may find www.rotoruanz.com helpful.

Enjoy your time in Rotorua!

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

Thanks a lot ... it really helps.

I think I will extend to 3 nights at Rotorua as below. Is this doable?

Day 1: Drive from Auckland to WaitomoCaves. See the Glowworm cave. Proceed to Rotorua. What time will I get to Rotorua?

Day 2: Rotorua activities as above - Agrodome, museum, Tamaki village

Day 3: Rotorua activities as above - Duck trip, Kuirau Park, Gondola, Luge

Day 4: Early start - drive around lake front, Government Gardens, Kurau Park; reach Wai-o-tapu by 10:00 for the 10:15 display of the Lady Knox geyser; continue on to Taupo for a late lunch then to Turnagi & National Park

Day 5: Tongariro - Volcanic Scenic Flight

Q1. What time would I be able to reach Rotorua on Day 1? Anything I can do on Day 1 here?

Q2. Can I reach Chateau, Tongariro NP on Day 4 and do the Volcanic Scenic flight ... Its a 2 hr drive I think?

Cheers,

Kapil

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,855 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

Oh dear all my typos were picked up!

On day 1 you should be able to reach Rotorua by 5pm. It depends how early you leave AKL & which cave tour you choose. You could do the Tamaki show any night. Will this be summer or winter? In summer you could do any of the free drive-by sights outlined by ValGee, or in winter, the hot pools.

Day 4. If you walk all the way round Wai-o-tapu it will take about 90 minutes. You could be on your way to Taupo by 12:00. Then it is about 80-90 min to the Chateau from Taupo, so if you left Taupo at 2:00 you could arrive at the Chateau around 3:30pm.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 16:28
Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

There are sights to see en route to Taupo after Waiotapu. The Huka Falls, Aratiatia rapids (gates released 10 a.m., 12. and 2 p.m. Also Prawn Farm, Volcano Centre, Glass Blowing and boat rides on the Waikato River.

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

Thanks zhuhai2007,

Its going to be early May this year ... early winter I guess.

Anything you'd like to add.

Cheers,

Kapil

8. Re: Driving to Rotorua - How to explore in 2 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 06:18