We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hangi

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Solon, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hangi

I know that this question is asked frequently but the reviews are so different

please advise as to the best hangi experience

Tamaki

Mitai

Te Puia

what is the length and time of day of each evening meal

Do you need tomake reservations in June?

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hangi

I shall answer your last question first. You should not need to make reservations in June.

It is difficult to say which hangi would suit you best but I shall give my suggestions.

All three provide free transfers from Rotorua accommodation.

If you choose Mitai you can add on a nightlit walk in Rainbow Springs Nature Park and see kiwi. Mitai also has some of their group arriving down stream in their waka which adds to the atmosphere.

Tamaki is further out of town so your transfer takes longer and is usually entertaining. I like the way the bush walk takes one around the different activities.

Te Puia is also good as after the concert (held in a ornately carved meeting house) there is the opportunity to drink hot chocolate overlooking Pohutu geyser.

The best hangi meal I have eaten was at Mitai but I don't think you would be disappointed at any of the three you mention if you go with the knowledge it is a cultural experience and not a 'cordon bleu' meal.

2. Re: hangi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:17