We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellington - New zealand

London, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wellington - New zealand

Hi

Im going on a 10 day trip to New zealand and im wondering is there a lot worth seeing in wellington, New zealand? I am short on time and Im thining about completely avoiding this area and taking a flight from Napier to queenstown and increasing my time on the south island...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wellington - New zealand

Welcome to the forum Dee :)

Yes, Wellington is a great wee city and it is easy to fill a couple of days there.

However with only 10 days in NZ, you are severely time challenged... which makes me wonder why on earth are you going to Napier?

2. Re: Wellington - New zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 19:35
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellington - New zealand

Dee there are positives in both Napier and Wellington just as there are in Queenstown. GIve us your itinerary and reasons for same and we can perhaps answer your question more fully. Te Papa, Zealandia, the Martinborough wine trail are but three good reasons to visit Wellington.

I am confused why one would ask a question about Wellington and post it on the Rotorua forum.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 02:18
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,952 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellington - New zealand

If you tell us a bit about what interests you and kind of holiday activities you enjoy, we can advise whether you should go to Wellington, Napier or any other spot in New Zealand.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellington - New zealand

Bloody hell, now I'm wondering why we are going to stay in Napier now! It's only for 1 night though and not booked yet so not too late to change.

Itinerary for NI is - fly into Auckland at night, so stay there first night, next night in Paihia, back to Auckland for 2 nights, one night in Rotorua, one night in Taupo, one night in Napier, three nights in Wellington, then onto SI.

Are Rotorua, Taupo and Napier sufficiently different enough to warrant a night each there? Never been to NZ before.

Interests for me, food and wine - Interests for OH - scenery and food. Thanks.

Not really a Rotorua question, so also, must do's in Rotorua are.................?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,952 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wellington - New zealand

Annylou, if you're interested in wine, then Napier is definitely worth a stop, maybe even for 2 nights. You also have a bit more time in New Zealand than the OP, so you can afford to go to more than just the major tourist stops.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,977 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wellington - New zealand

Annylou, why just 1night in the scenic spots and 2-3 in the cities. all you will see of Paihia & Rotorua is the road in & out of town! I would take a night (& half a day) off AKL to stay 2 in Paihia, giving you one full day to take a cruise etc. Skip the night in Taupo for 2 nights Rotorua & vist Taupo enroute to Napier.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wellington - New zealand

You could cut your nights in Wellington by one night at least depending upon what time you are leaving for the SI. @ nights are required to do justice to the Far North. Unless there is some pressing need to go to Napier I would give it a flick. Quality wine if that is your bent can be obtained right throughout the country. I would spend an extra night in Rotorua and the drive from Rotorua to Wellington can easily be completed in a day. The touristy areas are not the most visited areas for a reason. Cities are cities and NZ cities are nothing out of the ordinary. Wellington has Zealandia which is a bit special and will take at least half a day as will Te Papa a museum that is a little different from most

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wellington - New zealand

You will find everywhere you go you'll wish you had more time. Unless you love driving and mostly want a road trip, I would advise going to fewer places and leaving other places for your next trip. If you're coming direct from the UK you also need to factor in the possibility of significant jetlag slowing you down for the first few days.

I agree, drop some time in Auckland for extra time in Rotorua - you could easily spend a week there and you wouldn't have done half of it.

Actually I rather like Napier. :) I spent my honeymoon there, relaxing and visiting wineries (some of which have excellent cafes or restaurants). When we went there with our kids we all loved the tractor trip along the beach to see the gannett colony. The art deco stuff is pretty and the weather is usually glorious. It also has more of a "real New Zealand" feel as opposed to places that are strictly for the tourists.

How long do you expect it to be before you go back? If it might be your one and only trip to NZ you really have to make sure you see the top spots like Rotorua and the Southern Alps, and you'll spend most of your time sight-seeing. If you expect to go back, you can focus more on having a relaxing holiday doing the stuff you enjoy, like food and wine. In ten days it'll be hard to strike a balance, so I think you'll need to make some tough choices about what kind of holiday it's supposed to be.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wellington - New zealand

Personally the best places in NZ are NOT the big cities. Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton, Christchurch are great, but they wouldnt make any of my top ten holiday destinations in NZ. NZs scenery and natural features are just stunning. Wine, Id definitely recommend Marlborough. Make sure you allow time in Queenstown to visit Milford Sound. But honestly 10 days isnt alot so you ll be best to pick a few places and enjoy them. What time of the year are you travelling?