We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing in lakes, rivers, streams of NZ

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
fishing in lakes, rivers, streams of NZ

We will be doing a 15 day drive thru N & S and my husband loves fishing so I would like to provide him with info of license cost and where are the best places for a few hours of relaxing fishing. Our cities are Auckland, Rotorua,Wellington, Queenstown, Christchurch, FranzJoseph,Thanks

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing in lakes, rivers, streams of NZ

The best fishing is around the Taupo/Turangi area, south of Rotorua. You need a separate license to fish in the Greater Taupo area - see greatlaketaupo.com/new-zealand/…

Other areas need a Fish and Game license - fishandgame.org.nz/content/fishing-licence-i…

There are plenty of guides in the Taupo and Rotorua areas - it's a good option for visitors who won't be familiar with the best fishing spots.

If he is bringing in his own gear, he must make sure it is very clean. A North American angler brought in didymo (rock snot), which is turning into a major river weed in infected rivers.

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing in lakes, rivers, streams of NZ

Thanks for the info, as we aren't coming until May 2014 we have time to plan when and where to fit this in .

Oz
Level Contributor
12,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing in lakes, rivers, streams of NZ

Hi,

Further to weta's comments it can take months to learn a body of water and "match the hatch". A good guide is the only way to maximise opportunities with a short time frame. I would suggest a Google search of NZ fishing guides in the area.

Cheers,

Rotorua
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing in lakes, rivers, streams of NZ

Sport of Kings motel in Rotorua can provide accommodation as well as a professional fishing guide. Fishing costs $300 for a 3hr charter on lake rotorua plus $23per person fishing for your licence. Hope this helps

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing in lakes, rivers, streams of NZ

Wanaka, Twizel, Aoraki/Mt Cook all offer superb trout and/or salmon fishing nzfishing.com/FishingWaters/CentralSouthIsla…

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,926 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing in lakes, rivers, streams of NZ

I always laugh when I see trout fishermen just outside the salmon farm on the Tekapo-Pukaki canal. It seems the fish are smart enough to know where the salmon food is going to waste but not smart enough to beat the anglers!!

7. Re: fishing in lakes, rivers, streams of NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:15