We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Hey All,

I will be coming to NZ as a part of my honeymoon. Was thinking about driving from Auckland to Rotorua. Can someone tell me if it is worth driving? Is it a scenic drive or am I better of just taking a flight. I looked up buses and it turns out that if I pay 30 USD more (pp) I can fly and save a bunch of time and relax in rotorua vs sitting through a bus ride.

Also, can someone suggest a decent car rental company. My budget was anywhere between 25-35 per day plus fuel. Ill be needing a car for about 3 full days roundtrip from auckland airport.

Thanks!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
216 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

I would definitely do the drive rather than take a plane or bus. It is a very comfortable three hour drive, with some nice scenery( a lot different too NYC). By the time you get to the airport, and wait for the flight, you probably won't save that much time flying. Then again, I do like driving, and I know that some people get nervous about driving on the "wrong side of the road".

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Thanks for the response! Not so much worried about driving on the other side compared to driving in the states. More so want to see the value in driving which makes sense if it's a nice drive.

Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Thanks for the response! Not so much worried about driving on the other side compared to driving in the states. More so want to see the value in driving which makes sense if it's a nice drive.

Thanks again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Hi,

I would certainly agree with CR111. You aren't saving much time than what you think you will be by a flight transfer. If you love driving, then im sure the route will please you. By a rental car , it would be more of a personalized affair. You could make your own halts, enjoy the road at your pace.

I would suggest you to go with a well established brand like Hertz. Dont think of saving a few pennies by opting for some other cheaper option. Car rental can turn into a nightmare if not opted for the right source. You can check this out: https:/…auckland

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Absolutely drive... Lovely countryside and quaint towns to pass through. You can do a good loop through Matamata (Hobbiton, if your interested in the movies; but still a nice town regardless) to Rotorua; then head over to Waitomo Caves and through Hamilton on your way back to AKLD.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,035 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Rental rates depend on the season, size & age of car and the length of the hire. Although some 2nd tier" companies advertise rates beginning as low as $21 a day, this is usually for rental of a month or more in the off season. You can expect to pay more like $40-$50 pd for a 3 day hire.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Thanks for the response! I will actually be staying the night in akl because my flight lands late evening and will carry on with the drive the next morning after the morning rush hour dies down.

But it seems like most people would do the drive vs mass transport so I will probably end up doing that!

Thanks everyone for your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll surely look in to it!

Thanks!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

We drove it on our first trip to NZ, nice pace drive and got to stop on the way for late lunch. As the driver, I didnt find it too scenic (as I tell my hubby when he says "look at that", im trying not to kill us in a firey ball of death) but it was a relaxed drive.

10. Re: Drive from Auckland to Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:18