We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5days in Rotorua

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
98 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
5days in Rotorua

Hello experts,

We will be visiting Rotorua for 5 days from April 15, and would like to get some ideas on itinerary:-

Day 1, Tuesday - 11am landed and pick-up car rental at Auckland Airport. Drive to Rotorua and check-in at Malones Motel, Fenton Street in the evening.

Day 2, Wednesday - Hobbiton Tour, Matamata in the morning. Back to Rotorua to explore the city and Tamaki Maori Village in the evening.

Day 3, Thursday – Agrodome, Rotorua Museum & Art Gallery, Rotorua Lake, etc.

Day 4, Friday – Glowworm Caves, Waitomo in the morning and Lake Taupo in the afternoon.

Day 5, Saturday – Back to Auckland.

Please offer any advice and/or suggestions. Are there any major attractions that we have missed out that we should try and include? Any markets that we should visit?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Sue

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5days in Rotorua

Thursday night market in central Rotorua. (Mainly food stalls and not a large market)

Saturday morning market in Kuirau Park.

Suggest you spend Day 4 going to Waiotapu (before 10am) or Waimungu en route to Taupo. Several other attractions on the way such as Huka Falls, volcano centre, Huka Jet, Waikite pools.

Polynesian Spa, Eat Street, Rainbow Spring or Paradise Valley Nature parks, zorb, gondola, luging are other attractions in Rotorua. A walk or bike ride in the Redwood forest is recommended.

Visit Waitomo on your way back to Auckland on Day 5.

If there is a possibility of jet lag you should not attempt to drive to Rotorua on the day you arrive in NZ.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,162 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5days in Rotorua

I agree with ValGee. Please do not drive so far on your first day. Jet lag is a very real danger on our roads.

I would visit Waitomo Caves on Day 2, enroute between Akl & Rotorua. To visit Waitomo Caves & Taupo on one day involves a lot of zig-zagging.

You haven't mentioned visiting any thermal parks, which are the principal attractions in Rotorua.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5days in Rotorua

Things I liked in Rotorua was Hells Gate, Thermal Wonderland with geyser and the local park for their mud pits.

We also enjoyed the Zorb (silly but where else do you do silly stuff) and dinner at the Skyline was great.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
98 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5days in Rotorua

Dear experts,

Thank you for the advises and also the suggestions. Really appreciated all the comments.

There are soooo much things to do and see in Rotorua. The sad things is we only have 5days and on19th we off to Auckland for another 5 days until 24thApril.

I will be revisiting my itinerary to include Thermal Wonderland and also Redwood Forest if time permits.

Thank you again.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,162 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5days in Rotorua

I forgot to point out that your visit coincides with Easter so do be aware of the increased traffic on the road, esp on Good Friday & Easter Monday.

If you still plan to make a day trip to Taupo, I recommend Wai-o-tapu as one of the thermal parks to visit. It is located on the Rotorua to Taupo road (SH5)

Edited: 21 March 2014, 03:48
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5days in Rotorua

After a 9 hr flight from KL to NZ then to hop into a hire car to drive to Rotorua in chaotic Easter traffic is a recipe for disaster. Have you consider perhaps the Intercity bus from Auckland to Rotorua then collect your hire car in Rotorua returning said car to Auckland airport. Most of the car rental companies have offices all over and specially tourist spots like Rotorua.

There is a coach departing International airport at 12.13pm getting you into Rotorua at 4.45pm for $112 full fare or $56 nonrefundable sale fare.

There are also flights to Rotorua from Domestic terminal.

Here is a link to the coach timetables and fares.

www.intercity.co.nz/search-results/Form

Edited: 21 March 2014, 16:43
PJ
Level Contributor
100 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5days in Rotorua

I agree with other posters regarding the hazards of driving to Rotorua after a long haul flight. If you do not wish to stay in auckland for your first njight, I would suggest Hamilton as a compromise. This is slightly over 100km away along SH1, but I must admit I do not know how chaotic Easter traffic will be.

Hamilton is a nice town with its famed Hamilton Garden which is worth a visit. From there you can proceed to either Waitomo or Hobbiton en route to Rotorua.

Another place to visit in Rotorua is Hamurana Springs, which we enjoyed greatly and considered a hidden gem since not many tourists seem to go there. Waiotapu may have its tacky manually induced Lady Knox eruption at 10.15am daily, the rest of the park is great. If you plan to spend a day in Taupo, don't forget the Huka Falls and Arantiatia Rapids, both giving picturesque and wonderful views.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 22:14
Papamoa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
14 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5days in Rotorua

I'd do Hobbiton on the way down and stay in Matamata, then day 2 hells gate or whakawerawera; and tamiki village in evening; Day 3 Taupo and surrounds, Day 4 Rotorua muesum, agrodome, gondola; Day 5 back to Auckland via waitomo

9. Re: 5days in Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Rotorua