We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Rotorua

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in Rotorua

I will be on rotorua from may 12 to may 15 and after that i will go to auckland. I will stay in auckland from may 15 to may 17.

I will arrive on may 12 - 10 am on rotorua airport coming from wellington. I have already bought bus ticket from rotorua to auckland for 5 NZD (1NZD + 4 nzd fee) on may 15. but as it was cheap i may waste it, if its convenient

I am trying to find alternatives to go to waitomo caves, but tours are very expensive and only spend like 1 hour on cave. I think it will be a waste of money and time to spend 200 NZD for 1 hour in cave and 4 hour drving trip.

The best alternative so far (i wont drive) would be nakedbus from rotorua to caves (7h30 am - 10h50 am) and waitomo to auckland (5h30 pm - 9h00 pm). However what should i do with my luggage in waitomo since i will travel a whole month (from hot Brisbane in april to cold queenstown in may) and dont want to spend much time on laundry (few times only), not thinking on backpacking style bag (im thinking of 20kg sized bag). I dont like much, but is an alternative anyway,

For the difficult to get into waitomo caves, im thinking on spending more time on Rotorua activities.

I'm thinking so far of the following and I would appreciate help to improve my itinerary. I am not extreme sports guy.

May 12 - Flight from Wellington arriving 10 am. 1:30pm hobbtion tour.

May 13 - WAI-O-TAPU AND WHAKAREWAREWA THERMAL VILLAGE - Full Day Tour

May 14 - WAIMANGU WITH BOAT CRUISE FULL DAY

travelheadfirst.com/local-legends/…

May 15 - Morning - skyline and 1h30pm rotorua to auckland (intercity bus)

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Rotorua

You only need 1hr in Waitomo to see the caves.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Rotorua

Try and allow a couple of hours for the Rotorua Museum if you can and take a walk around Kuirau Park then over to Ohinemutu Maori Village. A soak in the Polynesian Pools one evening perhaps and a Maori Cultural evening on another evening. Have you looked on the Rotorua website www.rotoruanz.com? Lots of other activities rafting, kayaking, canopy tours: walking or mountain biking in the forest; nature parks such as Rainbow Springs or Paradise Valley (also a Lion Park); farm/ sheep show at the Agrodome. The Duck will take you around three of the many lakes in Rotorua. Lots more than I have mentioned here.

Do you have a tour planned for Waiotapu & Whakarewarewa?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Rotorua

Thanks Valgee, i havent book any tour so far. Just flights and place to stay.

The trips i am thinking is by travel head first:

travelheadfirst.com/local-legends/…

I will check your advices

4. Re: 3 Days in Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 06:16