We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

London, United...
Level Contributor
785 posts
Save Topic
Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

Hello, I'm from London England,

are there any good day tours to Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland or can I do these on my own and how?

The only tours I could find was Viator and city discovery, but most of these leads to other tourist traps when time should be spent seeing major sites.

Any advise would be really helpfull.

California
Level Contributor
9,614 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

Will you be self driving? If yes, you only need to drive yourself to these places and spend as much, or as little, time as you please. A little translation might be required....

Volcanic Valley=Waimangu

http://www.waimangu.co.nz

Thermal Wonderland=Wai-O-Tapu

http://waiotapu.co.nz

Mentioned in this post
Waimangu
Waimangu
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Wai-O-Tapu
Wai-O-Tapu
Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

Have you looked at www.waiotapu.co.nz/links ? Several different companies listed there. As deSchenke advises self driving allows you to suit your own needs best. A city bus will drop you close to Te Puia and Whakarewarewa. In the centre of Rotorua is Kuirau Park with mud pools etc and there is no entry charge.

Mentioned in this post
Te Puia
Te Puia
4,399 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Kuirau Park
Kuirau Park
896 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

You will get to suit your own needs if you self drive but if you prefer shuttles try www.waiotapu.co.nz/links for shuttle choices. A Rotorua city bus drops off near Te Puia and Whakarewarewa. Kuirau Park in central Rotorua has mud pools and thermal areas with no entry charge.

Mentioned in this post
Te Puia
Te Puia
4,399 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Kuirau Park
Kuirau Park
896 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
London, United...
Level Contributor
785 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

Thanks for the advise, I will not be self driving, so will have to depend on a good day tour or some form of shuttle bus or similar as advised

London, United...
Level Contributor
785 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

can the 2 sites be done in one day, are they close to each other or do I need 2 seperate days?

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

Waiotapu & Waimungu are close and can be done in one day. You would have enough time to go to a Maori Cultural evening as well. Not cheap but includes dinner. To learn more about how Rotorua has evolved visit the Rotorua Museum. There are other thermal areas such as Te Puia, Orakei Korako, Tikitere (Hell's gate). If you are into adrenalin activities you could go zip lining, kayaking, rafting, mountain biking, bush walks, zorbing, luging and afterwards relax in the Polynesian Spa. Lots to see and do in and around Rotorua.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua Museum
Rotorua Museum
1,274 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Te Puia
Te Puia
4,399 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Tikitere
Tikitere
Polynesian Spa
Polynesian Spa
2,805 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
London, United...
Level Contributor
785 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

Good to know , I can do both places in one day + the evening show. Will have to find a tour that can do all that on the same day?

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

Mitai, Tamaki & Te Po will pick up from most Rotorua accommodation. Check when booking with your accommodation provider or I site. There are shuttles doing a morning tour of Waiotapu & afternoon at Waimungu. The I site in Rotorua will have information on what services are travelling each day so I would recommend checking there asap after you arrive in Rotorua. Unless you are travelling during the summer months there should be no problem booking a day or two prior to travel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
785 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

Thanks will check out info as advised.

10. Re: Volcanic valley and Thermal wonderland day tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:15