We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost highway

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Lost highway

From Stratford to Taumarunui

Has anyone any links to utube or photos that I can view before selecting that route?

The only utube I've seen so far is through a pair of windscreen wipers. So I'd like some better impression before I go out of my way to see it. But I hear its really good.

Thanks

David

17 replies to this topic
Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lost highway

Sorry to hear that GAA_obsessed and hope that no one was hurt. Can you share with us what happened? It is definitely a road that requires the full attention of a confident and experienced driver.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lost highway

Well our car left the road and rolled down a hill 5 or 6 times.

We were very lucky to emerge with only minor injuries from the seatbelts.

The cops were amazed we walked away from it.

The landowners were very kind to us, putting us up for the night. They said that lots of cars leave the road every year. They don't know why tourists are being encouraged to drive this road as it should really only be for local travel due to the windy and narrow sections of the road.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lost highway

Some selfish locals do not like sharing scenic highways and byways in NZ. Some object to roads being sealed because it may create an increase of traffic on the roads they feel should cater just for them.A great number of people have driven the 'forgotten highway' over many years and lived to tell the tale and told others of the great scenery.

These people have taken road conditions into consideration and arrived safely at their destination.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lost highway

That would have been a very frightening experience, I am so glad you were not seriously hurt.

After reading the comments about this road I was rather apprehensive before our trip but my partner, who regularly drives on far worse roads in the "wop wops" was totally unphased and said it was a piece of cake. I guess it just boils down to one's experience and ability. If you have never driven on narrow or gravel roads before then it could be a challenge.

It is only a small section of the road that is gravel but it is important that drivers pay attention the entire way and keep well left as trucks and other vehicles also use the road and you do not want to be on their side when going around corners.

Incidentally my partner said he found the roads around Cornwall in the UK to be far more scary lol.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lost highway

Ive driven the forgotten highway a couple of times. Lovely scenery. its no different to a number of rural roads in New Zealand. And the winding narrow parts are typical of roads in NZ.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lost highway

I've driven all over the world.

Its not the gravel section that was dangerous imho, but the sealed section. Poor surface and bad signage.

The locals were more worried that the condition of the road isn't sufficient for the level of traffic being encouraged to drive it.

It definitely won't be a highlight from our trip!

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Lost highway

I'm sure it wasn't a highlight, but I doubt you will ever forget it. I'm pleased you're okay though.

This is quite an interesting graphic - it shows the location and causes of serious or fatal crashes on the state highway network. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/blackspots. Interestingly, there are lots of single vehicle crashes on the road between Te Anau and Milford Sound that were blamed on losing control on bends. Slow down for the bends people!

Reply to: Lost highway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Plymouth