We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taupo Accomodation

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Taupo Accomodation

We will be touring Rotorua and Taupo/Tongariro for three days. Is it advisable to stay in Taupo for all 3 nights, or near Rotorua one night and Taupo the other two?

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Taupo (moderately priced motel or B&B)?

Thanks!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taupo Accomodation

Hi

It is only an hour's drive from Taupo to Roturua and personally I would stay in Taupo for the three nights.

We usually stay in the Cottage Mews

www.cottagemews.co.nz

This is just on the edge of town on the way south. It is close to the Lake but does not have lake views. However it does have very nice spa baths in the units.

There is a great choice of accommodation in Taupo and I am sure that others will have more suggestions

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taupo Accomodation

Hi

I to would stay the three night in Taupo.

Are you intending to do the Tongariro Crossing.

Look at the web site www.bnb.co.nz for bed and breakfast accommodation in Taupo. There is a wide range of prices and facilities. But do try to get as close to the Lake as possible, there is a lovely boardwalk along the Lake shore.

Kay

Calico Lodge

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taupo Accomodation

Affirmative - Base yourselves in Taupo - go for a motel on Lake preferably with views and natural thermal spa pools. Be aware that most of them will be on SH1 which can be very noisy with the trucks coming through in middle of the night - ensure you request a unit away from the road.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taupo Accomodation

I really appreciate the tip about the highway..good to know..

Weather permitting we definitely want to do the Tongariro Crossing. Any recommendations on specific B&Bs or good motels?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Taupo Accomodation

Hi Caetano

I always stay with friends in Taupo so dont have 1st hand experience of commercial accommo. The Cottage Mews would tick my boxes though - also check out www.taupodebretts.com which is not on actual lake but has huge advantage of being beside the big thermal hot pools (what better than a soak in those after your hike over the crossing!!) It has a wide range of accommodation and the Terraces Hotel has a lovely restaurant & bar. Most of the Crossing Transport will pick you up from your hotel/motel as long as you are "on route" ie near SH1 south of actual town - so keep that in mind when choosing as well.

I know you are also going to south island - are you going to get a day hike in there too? Thoroughly recommend you do the Key Summit Walk which is basically the first part of the routeburn with a side trip. You go in from the Milford Road and it is a sharp ascent which takes you through beech forest and above the bush line into an alpine meadow and wetlands - amazing views down 3 valleys (rivers going to 3 different coasts!) On a good day you can see right down the Hollyford to Lake McKenna and the Tasman Sea!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taupo Accomodation

padso - we are actually planning to do the Key Summit track! I'm currently attempting to break in a new pair of hiking boots.. ;)

I looked at the Cottage Mews & they do have availability but they didn't receive good reviews on tripadvisor...which made me pause before booking..

I was just looking at the Alpine Lake Motor Lodge - looks new & clean. The reviews on here are good also..

I like that many hotels have kitchens in the room - we can save time by eating breakfast before heading out.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taupo Accomodation

Hi

Go with the reviews on TA.

We have heard not too good things about Cottage Mews, maybe they are just getting old as many in Taupo are. I would go for as new as possible, you will get breakfast in a bed and breakfast but please confirm breakfast arrangements where ever you stay.

Maybe easier to do your own.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taupo Accomodation

Alpine Meadows in good spot so it could be a front runner.

You can always book when you arrive but it is school holidays when you are here but there is heaps of accomodation in Taupo and there is a recession......

Check www.wotif.com for the bargains.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taupo Accomodation

Sooooo pleased you are doing the Key Summit we must be in sync. Another treasure in that area is the Mavora Lakes - it is really isolated & beautiful - you can drive up to them - it is a popular area to camp in height of summer for the locals but doubt if many tourists find it. We biked up there last April and we were the only ones up there apart from some kayakers. There were lots of birds. Get information from DOC in te anau if you have the time.

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taupo Accomodation

If it is a B&B you would prefer, some are above the lake with good views, but away from the traffic on the main road.

The Taupo B&B website is www.taupoaccommodations.com

You could also check out the reviews on tripadviser.