We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mine Bay Maori rock carving - kayaking?

Kentucky
8 posts
Save Topic
Mine Bay Maori rock carving - kayaking?

My husband and i will be in Rotorua/Taupo area March 14-16...i'm interested in a kayaking or boat trip to the mine bay rock carving. Any suggestions on outfitters/companies to arrange this? I havn't seen any companies...it was just listed as a trip idea on newzealand.com.

Also - any opinions on activities in Rotorua vs. Taupo. Where should we spend more time. currently planning to spend 2 nights in Rotorua and only see Taupo on our way south on Tuesday.

Thanks!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mine Bay Maori rock carving - kayaking?

Hi

Have a look at:

www.kayakingkiwi.com

which may help.

For details of what is available in Rotorua and Taupo have a look at

www.rotoruanz.com

www.laketauponz.com

You can then choose to best suit your interests.

The Taupo area is very beautiful with lots of nice places to eat and stay. There is possibly more to do in Rotorua - things adventurous, things cultural and things geothermal, but Taupo is in my view a much more pleasant place to stay. Things to think about in Taupo - Huka Falls, Craters of the Moon. I would also suggest a visit to the Prawn Farm - a nice place for lunch (if you like prawns) on the banks of the river Waikato.

Hope this helps

Kentucky
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mine Bay Maori rock carving - kayaking?

Thanks so much, i'll check into those sites!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mine Bay Maori rock carving - kayaking?

Just to let you know that it's quite a long haul in a kayak to the carving and you would want it to be a very calm day. Lake Taupo can cut up quite bad in rough weather. And while not wanting to put you totally off visiting it, are you aware that the carving is not very old or historic, it was carved in 1979. Personally with just a couple of days in the area there would be many other things I would put ahead of visiting it.

Taupo, NZ
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Mine Bay Maori rock carving - kayaking?

We have taken people out from our B&B with kayaks to the Maori rock carvings and they all really enjoyed it. There is so much to do in Taupo and something for everyone, but you need to allow a couple of days to fit it all in. Whatever you choose to do we are sure that you will have fun!

5. Re: Mine Bay Maori rock carving - kayaking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 04:16