We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taupo to wellington in one day

Which Taupo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
taupo to wellington in one day

we are staying in the Taupo region for 3 days in late september we have 15:00 flight from Wellington on Tuesday 28th, is it possible to drive from Turangi to the airport in good time if we leave early in the morning. Please could you advise me or would it be better to stay the night before nearer to Wellington

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

Hi

From Turangi to Wellington Airport is a good 5 hour drive, possibly longer if you are not sure of the way, on roads you are not used to and allowing for stops.

Personally if I am catching a plane or train etc I always try and be at the point of departure the day before if time is likely to be an issue.

Whilst it is quite possible to drive from Turangi in time to catch a flight at 3.00 p.m. for peace of mind and not being under too much pressure he day before mightbe a better idea.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

If you are able to leave Turangi by 8.00 am you will be in Wellington for lunch. However I would suggest that you get away a little earlier and stop for a break at Flat Hills cafe which is about 90 mins into your journey. This is also a great place to have breakfast. An alternate for a breakfast stop would be Gumboot Manor cafe on the right hand side of the road just as you enter Taihape. Turangi is a 4.5 hour drive with a stop.

man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

hi i think you are right it is quite a way, we are in the country for 10 nights we are renting a 4 litre prado 4 wheel drive vehicle do you think this is best we start in auckland and finish in wellington we are planning 1 auckland 3 bay of islands 3 rotorua 2 taupo 1 wellington any ideas thanks again rupert

man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

hi i forgot to say we are a party of 4 guys in our 50s

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

Bay of Islands to Rotorua is a long drive if you're planning to do it in one hit - around 7 hours without stops. You could break up your journey by staying in a town north of Auckland - Matakana is pretty nice.

Turangi to Wellington Airport is pretty easy, and you can make your flight provided it's domestic and you leave early enough. If international though you will need to be at the airport 2 hours beforehand. There is very little chance of getting lost as long as you stay on the same road (State Highway 1). But another option to consider is to fly from Taupo or Rotorua on to your next destination.

Is this a fishing trip?

man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

hi thanks for all your good advice, we aim to play golf and also fish in the Bay of Islands and do some lake and fly fishing in taupo. we have traveled all around South Africa together so we are used to long hops, we all share the driving plus when traveling we leave early. AND THANKS AGAIN ALL

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,665 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

Why the 4WD if you are not going skiing?

Sarasota FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

We just drove that stretch of road a couple of weeks ago. It will take you for certain 5 hours or longer. The road is two lane except shortly before Wellington. As the roads are often under repair with the infamous 30KM speed limit (ground spread or new seal as they call it) which will slow you down, unless they are done by now.

Sarasota FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

I hope you brought your golf clubs with you. It seems like every town, no matter how small, has a golf course which is a golfers paradise. I just love those little courses out in the country, but ... renting clubs, good luck. Rented clubs last in Nelson (north shore of south island), their city course with a Maori name... their clubs for hire were absolutely rubbish.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taupo to wellington in one day

Haha foodone, nothing worse than crappy hire clubs...............oh wait, there is one thing, stepping in the sheep poop that's scattered over many a small country course. NZ has the most number of golf courses per capita than anywhere else in the world. Hundreds of beautiful courses across the country.