We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongariro Crossing

Which Taupo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tongariro Crossing

I heard the 1-day trek at Tongariro Crossing is the BEST and my family of 5 wants to try this but i also heard that it's one-way. So how do we get back to our car when we are done? Is there a shuttle bus to bring us back to the starting point.

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongariro Crossing

We did the hike last year. We got a shuttle from our hotel (which was close to the Tongariro Crossing anyways) that dropped us off at the beginning and picked us up at the end (for an extra fee of course, but still worth it since there is no way around it). I'd suggest doing the earliest shuttle you can to allow for time to do the hike (since they pick up at certain times at the end, so you wouldn't want to have to be running at the end to make it). Ours was the earliest shuttle out there so during our walk we were only out there with about 30 people at first until the rest of the shuttle groups started catching up to us on the trail which made it a lot more busy and more people in your pictures. We didn't take that many breaks (other than to eat snacks and take lots of pictures) and it took us 9 hours to do the hike (we did one of the side paths too, but that only added an hour or so probably). Just be prepared to be sore....we had a hard time walking for a few days...lol.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongariro Crossing

Thank you. Wonder if there is a hut halfway where we can spend the night to break the trek into two days. We may NEED the break.

auckland
Level Contributor
162 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tongariro Crossing

We have done the walk twice. When we were 50, we did it in 5 1/2 hours. When we were 60 we did it in 7 1/4 hours. So long as you are reasonably fit you can do it in a day easily, just get going early. The shuttle services are great. We got accommodation in Turangi and got the shuttle from there and walked from the Chateau side to the Turangi side. It can get very busy in the high season so don't expect to have the track to yourselves. It is a very diverse walk, a bit like walking on the moon in places. It can also get very cold, particularly at the top even if you start off in perfect weather.

Enjoy it.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tongariro Crossing

There is no hut for overnight stays, this is a day tramp. I suggest you read everything you can regarding the "walk" as it's a tough one especially if you aren't fit. It's a tramp up and over the mountains, you should have day packs with water, snacks etc plus warm clothing. The weather can change at the drop of a hat and turn very cold even in the middle of summer. Have good sturdy footwear and a walking pole is an excellent idea especially on the some of the downhill parts through loose scoria(pebbles) Please don't underestimate the Crossing, it's very strenuous and without getting you all worried, people have died hiking this particular walk. Be prepared and you will be fine. If the weather is raining, foggy or low cloud there is no point walking it as you can't see a thing, and there are glorious views on a good day.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,320 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tongariro Crossing

How old are your family members? Before attempting this do make sure everybody has trained properly and has good outdoor gear including warm & waterproof clothing even in mid-summer.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,320 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tongariro Crossing

I forgt to mention, there are actually two huts on the Tongariro Crossing: see the DoC website for details:

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

perth
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tongariro Crossing

Is the crossing mainly a summer trek? Will be in the area towards the end of April, I know your weather is unpredictable, but am wondering if anyone can advise me if it is likey/unlikely that the weather will be suitable at that time of the year?

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tongariro Crossing

We are in our late forties with 3 teenagers. Thanks for the tips on weather changes. Most helpful to someone from the tropics.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tongariro Crossing

The huts that are shown in zhuhai's post are usually only used by people walking the 3 day Tongariro Circuit. If you decide to stay you need to purchase a hut pass from DOC before leaving for the tramp.

Wendy, early April would be a good time to do the tramp, later in the month is still OK but the weather probably a little more unsettled. Snow starts to arrive mid to late May.

10. Re: Tongariro Crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 05:17