We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where best to stay?Taupo,Turangi, N.P.Village or Mt Ruapehu

Which Taupo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
iv0
Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where best to stay?Taupo,Turangi, N.P.Village or Mt Ruapehu

Hi

Keen to hike the Tongariri Crossing. Despite lots of research, still don't know where to best base ourselves.

I am confused, my map not detailed enough...is Whakapapa the very same town as National Park Village???? Where is the Mt Ruapehu accomodation in relation to this??

Please advise best place to stay for the Crossing. Any specific accomodation recommendations also much appreciated.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where best to stay?Taupo,Turangi, N.P.Village or Mt Ruapehu

Since you start and finish the crossing at two different places it doesn't really matter where you stay as long as they provide transport. You do not want to leave a rental car at the trackhead. National Park is a village/railway station just outside the National Park. Whakapapa is one of the skifields inside the NP. Whakapapa Village is a small cluster of hotels & the DoC Office at the foot of Mt Ruapehu. Turangi is the biggest town near the NP. It is easy to obtain detailed maps through google maps or use this route finder (roads only): http://maps.aa.co.nz/directions Put in Turangi; Ketetahi Road; Mangetepopo Rd & National Park and you will get a feel for the locations,

Level Contributor
18 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where best to stay?Taupo,Turangi, N.P.Village or Mt Ruapehu

Regarding where to stay. National Park is closest, around 15 min away, Turangi is around 25min and Taupo is about 75min. I know Turangi well so this is what I am able to recommend from my experiences. There is a shuttle service that can take you from your accommodation in Turangi to and from the crossing.There are several shuttles, the 1st one is around 6:15AM This costs around $45NZD r/t. You can book via your accommodation provider or look on line. Sometimes there are discounts. Regarding accommodation in Turangi. These ones I know well and can recommend: (Backpackers) RIverstone Backpackers (Mid Level) Founders (Upper End) River Birches Lodge. Next is where to eat dinner. This can be tough. If you need help let me know.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
964 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where best to stay?Taupo,Turangi, N.P.Village or Mt Ruapehu

You can also stay in Ohakune on the south end of the park. This is what we're doing.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where best to stay?Taupo,Turangi, N.P.Village or Mt Ruapehu

Turangi would be my recommendation or if you're in the area for a few days, Taupo- there is a lot more to do in the area if the weather stops your walk. There are shuttles from both places..

5. Re: Where best to stay?Taupo,Turangi, N.P.Village or Mt Ruapehu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 05:16