We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best holiday park?

Which Taupo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best holiday park?

I am currently trying to find a holiday park in Taupo to stay at in our campervan for 2 nights. Surprisingly the rates seem to be quite a bit higher than other campsites in New Zealand. I am currently looking at the top 10 campsite which is very expensive but I will get 10% off for being a member- has anyone stayed at this site? Is it worth the money? The other option is the All seasons holiday park.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best holiday park?

When are you looking at coming?

If it is not peak time you can just drive into most smaller family owned camps and ask on arrival.

Glitzy chain camps are not always the best.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best holiday park?

But the Taupo Top10 is a good choice, nice camp site & it's very handy for an early night hot pool swim at the AC Thermal Pools just across the road.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best holiday park?

I'm going in September, during the world cup, so I have been trying to reserve many of the campsites. Do you think it's best to reserve a site in Taupo, even though there's not actually games being played there?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best holiday park?

Hi

It is a while since I have stayed in Taupo but there used to be a free (very basic) camping ground called Reids Farm by the river. I have camped there many times.

There have been problems there in the past with campers abusing the environment and things may now have changed. There may also now be a limited camping season ie in summer. However it may be worth investigating.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best holiday park?

Yes definitely, there are games in Rotorua only an hour away and Taupo will take the overflow. Also when there are no games on there will be many, many campervans touring the country and sightseeing between games.

re LoneKauri's mention of Reids Farm, I just called in there a week ago and yes it's still there but personally I wouldn't consider it, it's likely to be full to overflowing with freedom campers and there are no facilities except a couple of badly maintained toilets. In September it will be damp, muddy and cold. I'd not want to stop there overnight at the moment either, there are a couple of "campsites" with people roughing it. Not an ideal situation after dark.

Edited: 23 June 2011, 01:54
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: best holiday park?

Great, thank you. I think I will go for the Taupo top 10, even though it's a bit more expensive.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best holiday park?

We have often stayed at the All Seasons Holiday Park and found that to be a well kept, smaller park. It has a smallish hot pool...nice to relax in after a busy day.

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best holiday park?

they do have a lovely Big HOT pool onsite at TOP 10 too!

Edited: 27 June 2011, 05:24
Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best holiday park?

We stayed at the Taupo Top Ten last week in a motorhome and you won't be disappointed. Extremely helpful staff, nice facilities. Two large pools, both heated.

We have stayed at around 15 holiday parks throughout NZ and I reckon this is the best one.

Enjoy your trip!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: best holiday park?

Great thanks, I'm reassured I've made the right decision now!