We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant in Taupo Area

Which Taupo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant in Taupo Area

Hi! I am super excited to come to New Zealand in May. I'm going to primarily be staying in the Taupo area as I have friends living there. I would LOVE to take them out to dinner, since they are being gracious enough for me to stay with them and to act as my tour guides. One of the few things I would like to do, is take them out to dinner. Would anyone be able to suggest a restaurant in the Taupo area? I'm not too stressed about cost (they are saving me oodles of money by letting me stay with them!). Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant in Taupo Area

Hi Jess,

Here's food for thought for your Taupo stay. Wairakei Terraces located at the Wairakei Resort offers a Maoril cultural welcome and traditional hangi-feast in the evenings. Around $100 per person it isn't cheap, but it will be a very different and unique dining experience for your visit to NZ.

http://www.wairakei.co.nz/wairakei-terraces

There is a useful comment posted recently in the reviews section for Taupo - tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255113-d1…

Edited: 08 April 2014, 22:06
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant in Taupo Area

Thank you! We are already planning a Maori meal, but maybe that's something I can treat them to! Thanks for the idea :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
5,424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant in Taupo Area

Hope you found a nice restaurant. Where did you end up eating at for your trip to Taupo this month?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant in Taupo Area

Hi! We did do a Maori meal - at Mitai but were able to use a grabone for that. (We were lucky enough to be there with a group of actors/actresses in for Armeggedon expo!) But then we later went to The Bistro for dinner. It's a little trendy restaurant and was FANTASTIC! I HIghly recommend. I just returned on Saturday, so I haven't had a chance to do many trip advisor reviews- but if you will be in the taupo area, please check them out!

We also ate at a great indian restaurant (twice!) in Rotorua called Lovely India Restaurant and Bar. If you are looking for a great place in Rotorua - check them out as well! They were fantastic!

Enjoy!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
5,424 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant in Taupo Area

Thanks for sharing!

6. Re: Restaurant in Taupo Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 23:15