We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls holiday!

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Girls holiday!

We are a group of 6 ladies coming for a holiday in NZ in June or September. Would the Bay of Plenty be the place to base ourselves as we'd like to stay in one place for the whole time and take off for the day? We would be hiring a car so can you suggest some days trips scenery, wineries etc. Can you suggest accommodation also. We would like to stay in an apartment.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls holiday!

Mt Maunganui would be an ideal place to base yourselves for the week. Rotorua, Taupo, White Island, Coromandel, Waitomo caves are all within 1-2 hrs from The Mount. You have miles and miles of beautiful golden sand beaches within easy reach. Hot salt water pools and The Mount walking tracks within 5 minutes walk. There are dozens and dozens of restaurants and bars both in Tauranga & the Mount for the nightlife. White water rafing, kayaking, blokarts, dolphin watching all available.

You are best to stay right near the base of the mount and there are many accommodation options available. IMO this would be your best option;

http://www.oceanside.co.nz/

Here's some other sites which may be of interest;

http://www.bayofplentynz.com/

bayofplentynz.com/Mount_Maunganui/…2191_.html

destinationoutdoors.co.nz/themedetail3.asp…

http://www.whiteisland.co.nz/

http://www.kayaks.co.nz/

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls holiday!

Thanks Zappers! I really appreciate your reply. It was very helpful. Isn't tripadvisor great!

Washington State...
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls holiday!

Hello - Woozal:

I am waiting for trip advisor to approve my posting on reviews but I thought I'd just share it with you in the meantime right here... Zappers is great, isn't she! She helped me so much with my trip last month to the North Island and we had a great time. Here is my posting and maybe it will be helpful for you.

MOUNT MAUNGANUI – Referred to as “THE MOUNT”

We spend two nights here but I could have easily made it three or four if we could have been able to do all of the activities and had great weather. I love beach places!

ACCOMMODATIONS:

Oceanside Twin Towers Resort –180NZ per night for ground room floor, 1 Maunganui Road, Mount Maunganui-Tauranga

Phone: (64) (07) 575 5371, www.oceanside.co.nz

Email: reservations@oceanside.co.nz

NOTES: Ask for a room that is NOT on the street – It will be quieter that way. Personally we didn’t need a view room as we’d rather be out IN the ocean or ON the mountain then just looking at them. They have a free laundry facility and you can buy laundry powder from the front desk. The pool and hot tub are small but you have the Salt Water Pools across the street and the beach a short walk from the hotel. They offered wireless internet (2 hours for 10NZ and then 2NZ for each additional hour) You can “rent” beach towels for 2NZ each. Our room had a nice kitchenette and the standard NZ coffee plunger and tea facilities. There was a sitting room inside and a little patio with chairs outside. Shower had good pressure. It was less than a 10 minute walk into town, 3 minutes to the trail head for Mt. Maunganui (Maori name is Mauao) and only 3 minutes to the sandy beach.

DINING:

On the beach side of the Oceanside Twin Towers Resort, you will find 5-6 little restaurants with indoor and outdoor seating. Our favorite was the Side Track Café. Each morning we went there and had The Bop and The Mount for breakfast – Cost was around 25NZ total and note that we did not have coffee/tea as we’d already had that in our room before we ventured out. For dinner we walked into town and ate at Amphora. Hubby had the fish of the day and I had a wonderful seafood pasta. Our appetizer was the famous Green Lipped Mussels that NZ is so well know for. YUMMY! Dinner with appetizer was around 60NZ

ADVENTURE: To do list in Mt. Maunganui

*Hot Salt Water Pools – Only 5NZ per person – Just across from the Oceanside Twin Towers hotels – We didn’t partake so I really can give a report. These pools are heated by a natural thermal resource..

*Mt Maunganui – You must grab a bottle of water and hike up this mountain. There are a few different trails and the hotel can give you a little map. There are sheep on the bottom side and absolutely beautiful views from the top. You get a 360 view of the cities, the land, the water and the islands. Definitely worth 90 minutes of your time round trip to be 761 feet above sea level.

*Beach Mt. Maunganui – They refer to it as white sand - but it is not like the Caribbean white sand that you may have seen. It is nice tan sand and very clean and it did not stick all over me which made me happy. We were not able to find a place that rented boogie boards here but found out that if we would have walked down around the corner at the other end of the beach (Ocean Beach) , we should have been able to find something there. I nicknamed the main beach “Thunder Beach” as that is what it sounded like as the waves rolled and built up before crashing into a white foamy calmness across the endless sand. Then, it would do it all over again. It was rhythmatic enough to cause us to drift off into a light nap in the beautiful sunshine. I wish we would have had an extra day to spend here.

*Pilot Bay: If you walked down the street from the hotel (parallel to “The Mount”) you ran into another stretch of water called Pilot Bay. There was grass on this side and a marina. A great place for a picnic and to watch the kids play. Only 5 minutes from the Oceanside Twin Towers .

*Shopping and Restaurants: Just a short 10 minute walk into town on Mt. Maunganui Road.

*Dolphin Safaris, Ph: (64) 7 577 0105 , www.nzdolphin.com - Cost: 120NZpp– Departs 8:15 Salisbury Wharf (5-10 min walk from hotel on the Pilot Bay side) – Returns by 1pm – We really wanted to do this as you truly get to play in the water with the dolphins but unfortunately for us, there was a fishing tournament the two days we were there and they were afraid the dolphin pods would be scared and would not be in their normal areas. I would consider this a must do and will someday return to do this as I’m still thinking about it.

*Blo Karting, Ph: (64) 7 572 4256, www.blokartheaven.co.nz – Cost 50NZ per hour or 30NZ ½ hour - I guess in a lucky way we couldn’t do this because their wasn’t enough wind. SO – I’ll take NO wind and no blokarting instead of too much wind to do anything else.

*Oceanix Sea Kayaking Expedition, Ph: (64) 0800 335 800, (64) 7 572 2226, www.oceanix.co.nz – Cost 95NZpp –McLaren Falls Sea Kayak trip – The owner, Aaron, picked us up at hotel at 1:30pm and returned us at 5:30pm. First Aaron will take you on a nature walk through the bush. He talked to us about the plants, the native palms and their purposes and he also showed us some glowworms on the trail. Very cool. We also got to learn about the noisy crickets that you will hear all over NZ called the cicadas. Aaron is totally a nature guy and knows his stuff. We aren’t big nature people but found him very enjoyable. Please note that you do NOT go over the Falls.. You are basically kayaking the lake behind the falls- On a tranquil pond full of black swans – It is very calm and absolutely beautiful. Aaron will take you into some little nooks and crannies that are so pretty. I’ve never been in a Kayak and I did not get a bit wet. Afterwards he fed us some chocolate snacks with OJ to wash them down. I have to admit, I sort of ended up having fun feeding the ducks and swans. Especially “Whitey” – The only white duck. Just wear your bathing suit under your shorts, a windbreaker in case you get cold, a good hat, put on some sunscreen and make sure to bring a waterproof camera (in case you do tip) – There are lots of photo opportunities.

I'm almost done with my Rotorua/Taupo review so let me know if that would be of interest to you.

Have fun - 6 girls on the loose - I LOVE IT!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls holiday!

...and you'd love to be the 7th wouldn't you Kat!!!

I forgot to mention wineries- the Bay of Plenty is more known for it's kiwifruit then it's wine (although you can get kiwifruit wine), but there are two wineries close at hand. Mills Reef is at Bethleham (15 minutes drive from the Mount) and Morton Estate is about 40 minutes north on the way to Katikati along the coast. Both have excellent restaurants and also have many award winning wines. The grapes are all grown in Hawkes Bay and Marlborough although ME has a small house vineyard.

http://www.millsreef.co.nz/

http://www.mortonestatewines.co.nz/

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls holiday!

Thanks Randyandkat snd Zappers. You've both given me plenty to work with.

6. Re: Girls holiday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 13:20