We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! 3 days in wellington with my sons 5 & 7. What to do?

sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help! 3 days in wellington with my sons 5 & 7. What to do?

We are planning 3 days in Wellington in September over a weekend with our boys aged 5 and 7. Do you have any ideas about great places to go that might be a little unusual? Also any thoughts about the merits of the holiday inn over the intercontinental on the pool front would also be gratefully recieved.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! 3 days in wellington with my sons 5 & 7. What to do?

Gosh, I'm from Wellington but I'm struggling to think of things to occupy a small mind. The ones that come to mind are Te Papa, that is quite interesting for children, if you have a car and fancy a drive, staglands is a wildlife park that they might enjoy. There is a zoo which I've not been to in years but I can't imagine that it would have anything on Sydney zoo. If it is a fine day Karori wildlife sanctuary is nice for a picnic and some walks.

I'm sure the locals that still actually live there can come up with some other ideas for you.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! 3 days in wellington with my sons 5 & 7. What to do?

If you have a car, you could head up the Kapiti Coast to the Southward Car museum. Make sure you drop in to Lindale on the way for the best ice-cream ever (get fig and honey if it's available - it is superb). Lindale also offers farm tours.

You could also check out the waterfront. There's a place called Ferg's kayaks that hires out kayaks, rollerblades and has an indoor rock climbing wall. Not sure if there's an age limit for the wall, but they take school groups. Further south, at the lagoon, you can hire paddle boats. There's also a yummy gelato cafe at the lagoon too. And it will all be on the way between the Holiday Inn/Intercontinental and Te Papa.

Take the kids up the cable car.

Sorry, can't offer any advice about the two hotels. The Holiday Inn has only just opened. The Intercontinental is slightly more centrally located (although still only about 5 minutes walk apart).

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! 3 days in wellington with my sons 5 & 7. What to do?

I've just checked Ferg's website - they have harnesses for very small children, and the only restriction is that they must be walking.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! 3 days in wellington with my sons 5 & 7. What to do?

You could go to Kapiti Island which is a bird sanctuary about an hour north of Wellington. You can't stay over on the island but you take a small boat trip and then spend time walking amongst and observing the protected NZ native birds. You would need to book this ahead of time so look at www.kapititours.co.nz for further info.

Another thing you could do is take a ferry from Queens Wharf which is in fact very close to the Intercontinental Hotel. You then travel about half an hour to Soames Island which is a santuary also and it has lovely walks and views back to the city.

The cable car from Lambton Quay is fun for kids and once at the top you can visit the cable car museum and then perhaps walk to the small village of Kelburn for lunch.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! 3 days in wellington with my sons 5 & 7. What to do?

Lindale Farm is great for kids. They can feed the animals and get a lot of pleasure out of that (the ice cream is good too). Then a day a te papa and a day with going up the cable car etc. That should keep them nicely busy.

6. Re: Help! 3 days in wellington with my sons 5 & 7. What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 13:16