We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taupo to Wellington - route advice requested

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
twin cities, mn
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Taupo to Wellington - route advice requested

We will be driving from Taupo to Wellington on Sunday, April 6. We have the following day entirely open in Wellington and we ferry to Picton the next morning (4/8).

With that timing in mind, how do you suggest we go? I'm thinking about going over to Napier and then down to Palmerston North on to Wellington. We would have about 3 hours to explore the Napier area. Is that just too little time to make the trek worthwhile? Would our time be better spent exploring the area surrounding Palmerston North? Does it being a Sunday factor in to our decision, as far as shops/attractions being closed?

What are your suggestions on what to do the next day in Wellington?

Thank you for any advice/tips/pointers you can provide. After we get this figured out I'll be back asking for suggestions for the much longer jaunt from Christchurch to Queenstown!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taupo to Wellington - route advice requested

If you go straight down State HIghway 1 you are looking at around a 5 hour trip to Wellington. If you go via Napier without stopping to look around you will add another 2 - 3 hours on that trip.

A short detour to Palmerston North will add about an hour onto the trip.

If it were me I would go direct to Wellington arriving around early afternoon and take in Te Papa for the balance of the day leaving the following day to have a look around Wellington or pop over to the Wairarapa.

On the way south I would stop off at Taihape( for breakfast) and Bulls for a cup of tea / break, Lindale on the Kapiti Coast for an icecream and then onto Wellington.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taupo to Wellington - route advice requested

Well....... Napier is way better to explore than Palmie but that's quite a long drive to do Taupo-Wellington via Napier (approx 7hrs) If you want to see Art Deco architecture and a "tropical" seaside city then go via Napier(3hrs would give you a nice tour through the city and along Marine Parade). It is a lovely drive Taupo-Napier (although it is nice also via the Central Plateau past the mountains.

If you go to Napier I would take SH2 through the Wairarapa to Wellington, a little longer in distance but a lovely drive through rural NZ towns and farmland and you don't have to fight your way through the traffic down the coast on SH1.

You may even be tempted to stay in Napier overnight and drive to Wellington early the next morning. If you do this stop at Mt Bruce Wildlife Centre just north of Masterton, well worth the visit.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taupo to Wellington - route advice requested

Hi there,

We went in the other direction ---Wellington to Taupo.We left Wellie after breakfast and headed up to Palmerston North.It was slow going --loads of traffic.We stopped for coffee at a wind farm viewing area near to Palmerston.Then we took SH2 towards Napier.We had a quick lunch in Norsewood,a Scandinavian pioneer town.We continued on through Hastings and Napier to Taupo where it took us ages to access the town because of queues of traffic.Eventually we arrived at our friend's house at 5ish.It was a VERY long drive.

4. Re: Taupo to Wellington - route advice requested

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 21:17