We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it true Wellington is quiet @ NYE 08

Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Is it true Wellington is quiet @ NYE 08

We'll be driving down from Auckland to Wellington for NYE before going to Queenstown.

Coming from Sydney I thought Wellington was the place to be at NYE. We are 40yo ... and would like a place to have a nice dinner (maybe near the harbour), and than spend the night drinking and a good spot to watch fireworks(?). Any suggestions? Rowie

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it true Wellington is quiet @ NYE 08

Hi Luveely, I don't think Wellington is the place to be at New Years Eve unfortunately. Most people have gone to other holiday places leaving the cities behind. We had our big fireworks display at Guy Fawkes and I can't remember reading about any display at NYE - I could be wrong and others may know. I am not sure which restaurants will be open on NYE - you may need to have a look at www.dineout.co.nz.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it true Wellington is quiet @ NYE 08

Most restaurants will be open New Years eve but unfortunately there are no fireworks planned. The closest we have is a free open air concert in Civic square.

There are a number of restaurants which offer seaviews, The Duxton Hotel, Icon at Te Papa, The Tug Boat and White House on Oriental Parade to name a few.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it true Wellington is quiet @ NYE 08

Hi.

Wellington has a small harbour city buzz in good weather on New Years... and personally I prefer it to Auckland on such as night as everything's central and walking distance so you can wander around and take in the fun without having to worry about transport!

So it's not so bad.

It's true there are no new years fireworks, but yes to that free music party in the Civic Square which is near the waterfront so you could meander there after your dinner and walk along the waterfront - take in the views, harbour and buzz and go to that concert. The beat girls are a fun high energy girl band doing all the hits as covers so not a bad place to be if you like outdoor events and music.

Otherwise you could head towards Courtney Place area... I would not recommend it so much way after midnight because it will be more and more filled with really young drunk people! 20s and 30s mostly, But it's certainly buzzy atmosphere - and loads of people. IF by chance you are the types who like a bar crawl - you could have some fun along there. For older crowds 30s up you could head to Hummingbird for instance - also has tapas and fine wines. It is also not far from harbour... It's on the corner of some streets that are choca with more bars, Allen and Blair Street.

I would agree with the other poster - you could have dinner as close to water as possible, which is The Whitehouse ($$$)e for top fine dining at Oriental Bay, or Martin Bosleys restaurant (book well in advance and $$$) at the yacht club. Over on the other side of waterfront still close is Shed 5 for more fine dining and fish specialitys and right near that, Dockside is pretty good and more buzzy that Shed 5 which is bit posher and more restrained.

They're all in the pricey range.

I would not go to The Tug Boat myself - you can check out the reviews but it's not got the best reputation at the moment and is standard fare- quite a tourist place just because on the water. ICON in Te Papa closed years ago (previous post).

Do check out that Dineout.co.nz it's a good website.

Everything is walking distance too. I am assuming it won't rain - if does - it will be quieter so head for a buzzy indoor area perhaps the Hummingbird or the Dockside or somewhere nearer that central restaurant district around Courtney Place and Cuba Street. The food is good at The Matterhorn as well in the Cuba Mall. They do New Years dinners and you'd prob need to book.

Enjoy!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it true Wellington is quiet @ NYE 08

Just to let you know, we headed out into town last night and there was a fair buzz about it (if a little quieter than the pre xmas weekends... but still lots of people out).

We went to The Tasting Room which was busy and is a good spot at the end of Courtney Place (in one of the main bar and restaurant areas). There are some spots on the pavement there you can sit and people watch from the bar if the weather's good. It's a good bar for the 30s and 40s crowds as well.

Cheers

5. Re: Is it true Wellington is quiet @ NYE 08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Wellington