We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
216 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

Hi all- We will arrive at the Wellington airport at 11:20 pm on a Friday night in late May. We are booked to take the Inter-Islander Ferry to Picton the next morning at 8:25 am (boarding at 7:40 am).

We want to find an inexpensive hotel which is relatively near the the InterIslander Ferry Terminal as we will only need the room for about 7 hours (yeah. I know....). The "Quality Hotel on Thorndon" advertises that it has a free shuttle to the Ferry Terminal but I have yet to confirm that and also don't know if this hotel is close to the Ferry Terminal. Other budget options seem to be the Mercure Wellington located at 345 The Terrace and the Holiday Inn Wellington at 75 Featherston St. Do you think one is preferable over the other? How much do you think a taxi to the Ferry Terminal will be?

FYI- the "Aitken on Mulgrave" hotel appears close to the Terminal but it does not have a 24-hr. Front Desk and since we'll be checking in around midnight, this isn't an option).

I would really appreciate any advice on a hotel for this night. Thanks in advance!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

The HOLIDAY INN is your closet hotel. It is approx 200 metres from the Railway Station where on Platform 9 you can catch a free shuttle to the Interislander.

If you want to catch a taxi it would be around $NZ10.

The Holiday Inn is a 4 star hotel that was built to 5 Star specs. It will be a great place to spebnd your night.

For a little cheaper there is the IBIS HOTEL about 300 metres further along Featherston Street.

You can book both on their websites.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
216 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

Thank you beanb41! This is exactly what I wanted to know. I will book the H.I.

I have one more question for you. We will be coming back to Wellington for one last night before flying back to the USA the next day and I'd like to make dinner reservations. We are staying at the InterContinental that night so somewhere near there would be great.

Do you have any Wellington restaurants you'd recommend? We'd love to go somewhere that showcases NZ cuisine and/or food produced in NZ. Kind of like a "foodie" place however nothing too weird (no innards, tripe, etc..). We both like Thai and Italian food too. We don't want sushi or classical French like Cafe Bastille seems to serve. Also, I prefer to go to a place that takes reservations. Lastly, we don't mind to pay $$ if it is worth it. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

The top restaurants in Wellington are generally considered to be (in no particular order) Martin Bosley at the Yacht club (seafood), White house (oriental bay), Logan Brown, Citron (degustation and a la carte menu), and the Matterhorn. There are many others that are very good, and you'll probably get other suggestions. Personally, my favourite restaurant is the Boulcott St Bistro, although it's debatable whether it's in the same echelon as the others. Citron is simply fabulous as well.

The Matterhorn got restaurant of the year (or something similar) and will be cheaper than the other options - mains in the 30s compared to the 40s for the others.

You can get menus online - take a look at this website for starters: menus.co.nz/restaurants/….

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

Martin Bosley at the Port Nicholson Yacht Club at the entrance to Oreiental Bay would be my Choice. I have eaten at Both Bosleys and Logan Brown recently and whilst both are pricey I left Logan Brown feeling short changed.

The Port Nicholsen Yacht club is within easy walking distance to the Intercontinental and details of menus and bookings can be found on Bosleys website

www.martin_bosley.com.

The Food is great the service excellent and fabulous views to top it off.

Bon Appetite

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

The website should read www.martin-bosley.com

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
216 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

You guys are awesome- thanks so much on the restaurant recommendations! These look great. The problem will be which one to choose.

Thanks again!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

I stay regularly in this area. I have stayed in both Holiday Inn and Ibis many times. They are about 200 meters apart. The Holiday Inn is the nicer of the two but the Ibis is comfortable, clean and will be cheaper. It would add 5 minutes to a walk to the ferry shuttle or about $2 to the taxi fare. The Intercontinental is another 100 meters further away. This area has quite a few really nice restaurants within about 2 blocks. They cater for from each end of the budget spectrum. I suggest you have a walk through the area and pick a menu that suits. Over the last 6 years I've been to wellington most weeks and have tried them all! Have a waist to prove it. Some are better than others but they are all good. It's well lit, lots of people and very safe. You might even like to go down to the old waterfront area for an even bigger selection. If you still cant decide it's about 10 minutes or $6 in a taxi to Courtney place another collection of eateries. Wellington as the capital has a lot of corporate types passing through and must be the restaurant capital of NZ.

Wellington
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

Hi,

On the Interislander ferry you have chosen, there's a luxury lounge called Kaitaki plus. Very quiet and comfortable, free snacks and drinks, internet etc. Well worth the little extra.

Nigel

Interislander

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
216 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

I just wanted to say thanks to the latest responders to my query(ies)! I really appreciate the advice and will take it.

Sincerely,

J

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wellington Hotel near Inter-Islander ferry terminal?

All the above restaurant recommendations are great and I can add Shed 5 which is on the waterfront and within walking distance of the CBD. You can check www.dineout.co.nz for reviews of many restaurants in New Zealand.