We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Needed!!!

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hampshire uk
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help Needed!!!

Hi everyone can anybody help/advise me? Will only be in Wellington for 5 days in 2 weeks time a family of 3adults.Need to see as much as we can in those 5 days as we are only in N.Z for that short time.backpacking so could do with cheap places or bed and breakfast places to stay!!Good restaurants and any info will be really welcome from all you experts!!!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,682 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Needed!!!

Where else in NZ are you going and what are your interests? If the weather is nice (did anyone mention flying pigs?) the ferry to Matiu/Soames Island is lovely. If you have a car a day trip to the Wairarapa to visit a few wineries would be fun. Even a day trip to Picton is possible.

Don't miss Te Papa our national museum. If you like gardens take the cable car up to Kelburn and walk down through the Botanic Gardens.

hampshire uk
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Needed!!!

Thanks for the great help zhuhai 2007! only around the wellington area then flying back to sydney on the 6th day- only a whirlwind tour but just had to come! your ideas sound brilliant just the type of things we are looking for. frantically trying to sort this all out as this trip is spur of the moment , only booked our flights last night, it was shall we shan't we! then our 22 year old daughter said i'll come with you. Thanks for your help

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Needed!!!

The best place for you to stay would be the YHA in wakefield St which is right in the middle of town. You can google YHA Wellington for details and costings. It is extremely popular. From the YHA you can deal to nearly all the central city tourist sites by walking around.

Within about 5 mins walk from the YHA is the City Council and Town hall. Here you will find an I - Site which is a Tourism NZ tourist info place where you can book ours trains, buses tc.

For an overview of the City I woul recommend Hammonds Tours which will take you around the city and give you a good overview.

Places you must visit are TE Papa museum (Min 1/2 day to go through it). One block south of the YHA is Coutrney Place the nightlife capital of the city with a plethora of bars, night clubs and restaurants to meets all tastes. I understand that the YHa is partially self caterng and there is a lrage supermarket across the raod from th YHA. Other places to visit would be he Karori Bird Sanctuary, The Cable Car, Parliament if Politics is your bent.

A day trip on the ferry to the Sth Island and a wine tour while you are there is an option. A train trip to the Wairarapa is another option. Full details of itinaries, costings travel to and from and a host of other ideas are at the I -Site.

A very pleasant walk on a lovely night is around Oriental bay on the watefront (only a few minutes from the YHA).

These are a few ideas for you to follow up. If you have any ideas of what you may want to see or do try googling the activity and add welington after it to see what pops up. The Wellington City Council website is another good resource www.wcc.govt.nz.

Happy planning

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Needed!!!

Karori Sanctuary is also wonderful http://www.sanctuary.org.nz/

enjoy your visit :)

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Needed!!!

Hi holcrazy, We visited Wellington for about that time frame earlier this year. Fortunately we have family there so accomadation was free and they drove us to where we wanted to go.

Did find some good restaurants in Wellington. Try Chow. The service wasn't flash but the food was great, Also went to Osteria del Toro. There's a great selection to choose from and will be hard to go wrong.

We found the tram ride to the top of the botanical gardens a must. The views over Wellington are spectacular. The walk back through the gardens (and the cemetry) was very enjoyable. TYhe Rose Garden was in full bloom when we were there.

If you are going to catch the ferry to the South isand the further out you book the cheaper it seems to be. We decided against going this time due to the fact we'd end up staying 1 night and then head back again and did't feel this long enough. Mind you I've done the trip before.

Great little pubs around as well. On a larger scale Mac's Brewery down by the harbour was good and the feed there was spot on.

If you can fit in a day trip to Martinborough Wineries. It's a scenic drive there and the wines are wonderful.

Suggest you rug up. Family tells me it's already getting cold and windy.

regards

Oscar

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Needed!!!

If you are into international food then the whole Courtney Place area is for you. it's buzzing with cafes at all places in the budgetary spectrum. They have everything from Irish to obscure places I've never heard of!

hampshire uk
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Needed!!!

Thanks to everyone that has replied!! i've now got a list of must do's! great to hear what the weather is like we'll take warm jackets and sweatshirts!! How great is this site! we've used it before but as our trip is 'on impulse' (due to some cheap flights with quantas stumbled on in a moment of boredom!!)everyone has given us so much help!If N.Z is this great we won't want to leave!!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Needed!!!

Hello holcrazy, You may like to have a look at www.wotzon.com. This site gives you an up to date look at events, places to go etc in Wellington while you are here.

Buses around Wellington are easy and convenient and you can jump on any to take you to the suburbs i.e. Karori, Island Bay, Seatoun etc where you can explore for a few hours and take in the cafes, local shops, views etc. If it's a nice day (stunning today) you could walk from Te Papa around Oriental Bay. Wellington has many walkways and public tracks in and around the city too - the information centre and library have leaflets explaining these.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Needed!!!

If you'd really like a boat-ferry ride, and scenic 'sounds' scenary then no big problem taking the ferry and staying just the one night in Picton perhaps. There isn't that much to see there so that'd be ok. the weather would have a big impact however.

In Picton you could do the short walks up towards "the Snout" but maybe not all the way - for free. Or get onto a boat tour to some small pretty bays in the sounds. You can do dolphin tours. Other than that - just a few small shops really, a bunch of restaurant cafes and bars and somewhere to rest your head.

It is pretty cold now - jackets! a scarf perhaps! We had lovely sun today but in the shade was chilly. You're talking 10 degree c days.

What sort of food and restaurants do you like - we can recommend in that category for you.

Cheers!

hampshire uk
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Needed!!!

Hi ZorroNew Zealand! thanks for your post -noted down your ideas.Someone earlier said the weather was cold so we will watch weather forecasts until we fly out in just over a week!!I'll take t-shirts though it sounds like we'll need jackets and sweatshirts!!Dont really mind what the weather is like but would really like it to stay dry though!!Booked up at the YHA in Wellington for a couple of nights and will take it from there.Heard there's loads of restaurants-happy to eat anything really. Would love some N.Z dishes to try what would you recommend,any good recommendations for food and bars would be great,thanks!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Wellington