We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enjoying myself despite the weather

Califonia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Enjoying myself despite the weather

I am currently in Wellington. It's wet and cold (and I'm not a big fan of wet and cold), but I'm still enjoying myself. The people are friendly and the city reminds me of a smaller, cleaner San Francisco. I just got back from a delicious dinner at the Matterhorn. The restaurant was packed and jumping like it was a Friday or Saturday night! Te PaPa Museum was a pleasant surprise. It's HUGE and it's free!!! I spent 2 hours there and still didn't cover every floor. I like this place so much, I can actually see myself living here.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

Hi MM :)

so glad you are enjoying Wellington, it's certainly a great city. As for the weather, this winter is a particularly cold one though you seem to be managing well. Probably a good opportunity to stock up on another set of merino thermals. And also some cosy possum socks.

enjoy the rest of your visit... and keep warm :)

USA
Level Contributor
152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

I visited San fran for a few days last thanksgiving.

And I pretty much agree.

Its a nicer,smaller,cleaner and friendly Sanfran.

Loving Wellington at the moment.

Super cold though. And these plug in heaters arnt doing the job!!

Just figured out how to turn on the heated tiled bathroom the other day :-)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

Nice to see you are enjoying Wellington.

Wellington has often had an image issue as it is the Capital City, but suffers from exposure to wind and also is the headquarters of many large corportes plus NewZealand Government.

It infrustructure is well suited to meet tourist's needs but struggles in the same market as Rotorua, and queenstown.

Manythanks for a great report

Los Angeles
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

I am arriving in NZ July 17. Had considered leaving Mountain Hardware rain gear and buying Sierra Designs waterproof jacket & pants that fit into small sac, because it would be less bulky. What do you think? I'm coming from LA where temps are in 90s & rainfall 0. Am I being unrealistic? I just want to cut down on bulk as I am travelling by bus with small bag and small backpack.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

''Sierra Designs waterproof jacket & pants that fit into small sac,..'''

Probably a good plan.Weather has been colder and windier than usual for Wellington this season.But the upside is the skifields all over are doing great business.

But come on up and visit the Kapiti Coast and get away from all that.An overcast day, still, and relatively warm .I'm sitting here with the doors open......

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

''Sierra Designs waterproof jacket & pants that fit into small sac,..'''

Probably a good plan.Weather has been colder and windier than usual for Wellington this season.But the upside is the skifields all over are doing great business.

But come on up and visit the Kapiti Coast and get away from all that.An overcast day, still, and relatively warm .I'm sitting here with the doors open......

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

oooops !

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

You can say that again Jim! :)

Make sure whatever you bring is waterproof, not just shower proof, AND windproof. Wind chill can cut you in half. Because alot of NZ tourist activities are in the great outdoors, you'll not want the weather to put a dampner on your trip so bringing good waterproof gear, along with thermals, in the winter is a must.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

I hope Zappers is not watching but the weather in Wellington at the moment has been the coldest in many years I dont know where the weather reporters are getting their TV temps from but they arent from around my house. Its much colder.

But more importantly I am very pleased that you are experiencing the warmth of the Wellingtonians which is far more important. One can always put a jacket on if the weather is cold and wet but if the locals are frosty it can spoil the whole experience.

The Matterhorn is NZ's top restaurant and bar and the bar is rated amongst the 10 best worldwide so you made a great choice for a night out.

You need a good half day minimum to see Te Papa at its best.

If you have time and the weather is okay a trip out to the Karori Sanctuary or Zealandia as it is now called is worth the visit.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay

Califonia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Enjoying myself despite the weather

Hummm... The weather is bad, but it's really not that bad. Maybe I'm used to it, living in the S.F. Bay Area and all. I wanted to save room in my suitcase, so i only packed sweaters and sweat shirts. I doubled up with a sweatshirt and hoodie when I went hiking at the Kaitoke park and I felt fine. The bottom of my jeans got wet, but they always get wet when it rains.