We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

Not at all.

I have been here for two full days and weather is Sunny with not even a cloud in the Skies.

Yesterday I could enjoy beautiful views from the botanic gardens and this morning I spent quite a few minutes in Mt.Victoria lookout with extensive and clear views.

This afternoon I have been doing the Seal Coast safary and all the same.Well the way itself to see the seals is quite and adventure, but we had lot of fun.

You were totally right Mike, beautiful weather in beautiful Wellington.

Jose

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

No worries Jose, I'm sure the usual wind and rain will be back tomorrow ;)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

Hey, you got last year's summer and this years all in two days that was good planning! :)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

Jose what did I tell you, be honest with the truth and the Doubting Thomases will be out in their droves. Even now at 6.30pm in the evening the sun is shining and there is still not a cloud in the sky.

Jose glad you have had a great stay in town even if it is only a short visit. Bon voyage to the South Island tomorrow and a safe trip home next week

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

I have just talked with home and yesterday they got a heavy snowfall where I live, just at sea level; which is quite unusual.The last time we had snow at sea level was some 20 years ago. The weather is crazy.

Jose

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,694 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

Wellington is one of the few cities in NZ (I don't live there) with personality. It does not matter what the weather is like. It's great on a sunny day and as long as you are not arriving in a plane or ferry, it's fantastic in a howling southerly. Just sit in a cafe with an outside view (easy to find) with a flat white, munch on your biscotti and take it all in. That walk from Te Papa to the wharves were the Ferries go to eastbourne is great, regardless of weather it is shirt sleeves or a full coat!

Last year I visited most weeks. It was always different. However I'm at a loss to understand how anyone could live there!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

Those of us who live here have our eyes open all the time keeping things in balance and dont have a cycloptic view on life like those who live halfway down the South Island on the right.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

Living here is fantastic IMO!

I was born here, grew up then left having 7.5 years in London and 1 in Hong Kong and I totally love living back here now. Very appreciative of the good qualities and can take the negatives much better having seen both sides of the coin.

Weather is seasonal so you get hot and cold (relatively)... and can wear your seasonal wardrobe! Can go beaches in summer and cosy restaurants fire side in winter. Or nip off skiing not too far away if that's your thing.

The cities compact for walking and for seeing people you know and getting to know people - yet has suburban centers where you can stay out of the city all weekend walking and doing cafes and such things.

You've got sea, hills, flat areas, rivers, nature and the city centre.

Restaurants and cafes first class.

You can live in a 1900s villa or a 2010 apartment.

You can sail or play land based sports or mountain bike or go scuba diving in ship wrecks.

We get festivals, sports events, concerts and have the ability to easily travel to Auckland for bigger concerts as Wellington's not too far from anywhere as long as you can afford to travel.

And the people are friendly.

Not much negative really... as I sit typing listening to the rain I'm still having trouble thinking of a bad side of the environment having written the above!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

I don't think anyone actually said it was always rainy and windy... just a lot of the time!! I lived in Wellington for 45 years and did not know anything different - I thought everywhere was that windy! Now I realise that Wellington is indeed windier than other parts of the country but there is still one truth....

You can't beat Wellington on a good day!!!!!! (that is a local saying and it is so true)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

That's because they are so rare that when you get a good'un you think it's way up there on top of the world! ;)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who said weather in Wellington was always rainy and windy?

I have had to close the curtains to stop the sun streaming in and blinding me. That makes the 16th time since November. Neat eh.