We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

Hi, What is the most cost efficent way to travel from the airport to city (The Novotel) with 2 adults and 1 child. Would a shuttle be the best option? or would a taxi be just as cheap?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

A taxi would be your best bet. The cost is around $20 which would be similar to a shuttle and you wont have the tiki tours around town to contend with. A bus is still cheaper but you would still have a bit of hike to your hotel. For the cost of the taxi ride the inconvenience of the bus is not worth it

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

Cheapest way is to bus - the Airport flyer will cost $8/adult; $4.5/child. The bus runs every 15 minutes and takes a fairly direct route into town. Free wifi too. Get off on Lambton Quay, wander into one of the arcades and catch a lift to the hotel on The Terrace. If you want to pursue this option, I can check out where exactly to go tomorrow. I walk past it often enough, but can't quite remember.

Taxi will cost around $30. Shuttle will cost around $15 for one pax and $5 for each additional pax.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

Bean, a taxi for $20 to The Terrace? I think your prices are a little out-of-date.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,913 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

It regularly costs me $35 from the airport to the Novotel, using a cab off the "preferred" rank.

I now get the bus. It's actually quicker provided it hasn't just left. (They go every 15 minutes. The bus stops on Lampton Quay and there is acess to the Novotel up an archade by the shop selling football clothing. You take the lift to the 9th floor (all clearly marked)

It's quicker as it runs round the back of the airport and through the bus lane under Mt Victoria. The bus is in much better condition than some of the taxis.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

Slap my hand with a wet bus ticket because I got my hotels confused. What I am about to say now sticks in my craw and that it is a Cantabrian has better advice than me. There I have said it and almost choked.

BB I guess the best way is to catch the bus choke choke LOL

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

The arcade you need to go through is called Capital on the Quay. Shops on the street frontage are the football shop mentioned, a bag shop, shoe shop and Borders. I think the entrance between the shoe and bag shops is the most direct route to the lift to The Terrace.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

Actually, the entrance you want is right next to the bus stop. Sports clothing store (Ryos) is on the north side, Bunches Florist is inside and there are signs for the Homestore and Party Central (don't get too excited, they just sell party supplies). Walk past the escalator to the lift. You'll see a Novotel sign.

The bus stop you want is the first one on Lambton Quay. It's just past Cable Car lane. If you want to look for it on Google Streetview, the address is 268 Lambton Quay.

If you decide to taxi, get them to drop you off on Lambton Quay. It will be cheaper than going up to The Terrace.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

I was going to send them up to the terrace vuia the James Cook and they could walk the twenty metres or so down the terrace to the Novotel. That bus ticket is starting to hurt LOL

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will take the bus to Lambton Quay. Hav ehad a look on google street view and it seems easy enough to get to.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,913 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most cost efficent way from Wellington Airport to City

Never mind Bean you will be able to move on from this I am sure. Next blustery day just cut back to a half shot as you are sitting in one of those cafes on the Terrace pondering the meaning of it all..

There are a few lifts in this area that will take you up to the Terrace from Lampton quay. Some will require a walk of 20~30 meters wheras the one in Capital on the Quay brings you right into the Novotel dinning room/reception area. The lift is at the back of the arcade, on the right.