We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Crossing

UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Crossing

Looking in to crossing with car next Feb/March. What is the difference, if any, between the Interislander and Bluebridge?

Thanks

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Crossing

There's not much difference. In Wellington, the Bluebridge terminal is in the CBD whereas the Interislander is a couple of minutes north. Go with who offers the most convenient sailing and the cheapest tickets.

UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Crossing

Thank you weta for your prompt reply.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Crossing

The onboard experience does differ, however. Eating facilities on the Bluebridge ferries are more limited, and there is less variety in terms of places to sit. Both Bluebridhe vessels are the same whereas the Interislander vessels differ quite a lot for each other: the Kaitaki is the most upmarket of all the ships plying this route.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
305 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Crossing

At busy times it's harder to get nice seats unless you board very early on the Interislander. Bluebridge has good seating options I find like the large lounge bar areas near the great large back viewing deck. I personally find the Interislander too busy and often struggle to get a seat (had one trip sitting entirely the whole time in the windowless bar due to all other seats being taken). In contrast have always found good seats on the Bluebridge.

However I am local and not tourist so not looking to have much of a tourist experience on the ship - just after a comfy journey! Agree with other post - choose the time which suits you best and the fare - and if interislander works for you, board early in the car queue and make a quick march for good seats - grab some, and if you're a family send scouts out for better ones if you like while reserving the first found ones! If you're not in the school holidays you'll be fine.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Crossing

Bluebridge is getting a 'new' ship in December (5 years old) that will be the youngest plying the Strait. Will be interesting to see how it is kitted out.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Crossing

From the article in the paper it will also be the biggest boat on this run. However the weather will be great in Feb/March so thats less important. I would go with price/time as weta suggests. For most of the trip you will be on the deck taling in the view so I wouldn't worry too much about the experience.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Crossing

Fly modemUk, fly! :) I've yet to have a smooth sailing no matter the time of the year or the ship. I refuse to sail now. Good luck.

UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Crossing

Zappers - we have always flown in the past but thought it was time that we made the crossing by sea. We have taken the Post Boat trip from Picton but think it is not quite the same as sailing in to the Marlborough Sounds from the sea. Also despite this being our 7th visit, we have not yet visited Wellington (!!!) and thought to combine the two experiences.

Thanks to everyone else for their very useful info.

9. Re: Ferry Crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 04:17