We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Wellington, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Last Friday 18/02/11, My parents, my boyfriend and I caught the interislander ferry from Picton to Wellington just after lunch time. It was a perfect day to sail but the service from the Karori Rip Bar on Deck 8 made the trip really unpleasant. The young man who took the order from me seemd had enough work and did not want to make any effort to smile or even say a "hello". The lady who made my coffee was rude too. I repeated my order which was a large coffee twice to the young man but still I got a small one. When I questioned about my coffee the lady said to me" did you want to pay for the difference?" Let me ask what kind of service was that??? No apology??

Considerring interislander is the main transportation that many travellers will use, I am really worried and disappointed at the service. Next time I will certainly be considerring using the other options but this ferry.

I hope the management could look into this matter and make sure the service is up to standard.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Hi,

Before posting n TA, did you write to InterIslander to seek their comments? That should be the first step, then following either no reply or a poor responce, then post your comment on TA.

It is unlikely the InterIslander will be monitoring these posts, and adverse comment on the InterIslander are very rear indeed.

You are quite right that a smile does help in service delivery and when you order something, you like to get what you ordered, however, please write to InterIslander, as I am sure they will do the most they can to ensure customer service is at it highest level

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Coaster being a first poster I doubt it. I have concerns that this maybe another first poster who complains and then disappears. As a local the OP has plenty of opportunity to resolve these issues before coming to TA. a phone call to Customer services, an email the opportunities are plenty.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

I totaly agree, but trying to be diplomatic as well, and hopefully some advice for anyone else who has experienced 'bad service' are best to in the first instance, contact the organisation concerned. if the responce is significantly less than would be expected, then bring it to TA forums

Wellington, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Thank you for your reply. I did send an email to the Interislander email acc. Well the response was very poor. only said the massage will be reported to the on board service manager and thats it.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Echoluo have you tried ringing them. It is too easy to fob off an email

Wellington, New...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Hi EchoLuo

Thank you for your comments. I hope you enjoyed the other aspects of your trip, and we're sorry that it was soured by this experience.

The initial email was not a 'fob-off'. All comments are passed onto the relevant managers and used to direct and improve service. This is something we take personally and seriously.

In this case, the staff involved have already been spoken to about the impact of their service, and the importance of raising their game. They were apologetic and embarrassed.

I understand you have also been emailed personally by our Passenger Services Manager will an explanation and apology.

Safe travels,

Greg Smith

Product Development Manager - Interislander

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Thanks to the Interislander for responding.

Larne, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
635 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Can't say the service was bad on my Interislander trip recently, but what simply awful ships. I used to travel on these sort of boats across the Irish Sea about 30 years ago. The look and feel like something from a bygone era. I watched one docked at Picton with the words Pride of Cherbourg painted over on the side. I would have thought twice about travelling on it when it actually was the Pride of Cherbourg, never mind now.

To think they advertise on the TV with dreamy sequences of 'Cruising the Interislander'. The 'Voyage of the Damned' more like.

I googled the invidual ships and found out their history. Unfortunately I did this while crossing the Cook Strait on one of them, and it didn't exactly calm my nerves.

Foolishly I expected them to be state of the art. I'll never again complain about Irish Sea ferries. Sheer luxury compared with this lot.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

Its only a three and a half hour trip, much of that in Wellington Harbour or the calm of the Marlbourgh Sounds, a lot different from the Irish Sea or English Channel.

When we travel across the Strait we pay the extra for the Kaitaki lounge which makes the trip very comfortable

Edited: 11 March 2011, 03:40
Wellington
Level Contributor
350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad customer service on the interislander ferry

The boat that was seen in the post complaining about awful ships is likely to have been one of the Bluebridge vessels rather than the interislander.

I quite like these. They are from a bygone era, and as well as having some of the not so good aspects of this era, also retain some of the good.

I guess it just depends what you like.