We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

very rural Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

Almost all our questions were answered by checking through this great furum, but wonder if there is an exceptional indigenous art gallery and also a place where local foodies find cheese and other fresh local ingredients? We will be visiting in January and looking forward to our first trip to NZ!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,145 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

The Harbourside Market is where I always go:

http://www.harboursidemarket.co.nz/stalls/

Are you going anywhere other than Wellington? I always enjoy going to boutique cheese factory shops.

I don't know of any Maori Art Galleries in WLG, but there are plenty in Rotorua.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

Moore Wilsons in Tory St is paradise for food lovers. Also worth checking out is the City Market at Chaffers marina on a Sunday morning.

Kura in Allen Street specilaises in contemporary Maori art and design. Te Papa store also has some Maori art.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

If you drive north up the Kapiti Coast to Lindale, you will be able to sample Kapiti cheese and finish with a delicious Kapiti ice cream. If they are still doing lemongrass and ginger flavoured icecream, I recommend it.

very rural Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

Wow! Thank you, all three! All good ideas and I think we will do them all. Now it won't just be local cheese but also local ice cream. If any of you come to SW Colorado, will return the favor.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

If you don't have time to drive up the Kapiti Coast, you can get Kapiti cheese and ice cream at Moore Wilsons. Also, Kapiti ice cream is sold in cones at a number of outlets in Wellington, including Newports store in Oriental Bay and the Paramount cinema, so you could try a number of different flavours.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,145 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

Cafe Eiss on Oriental parade and in Courtenay Place has great ice cream too.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

If you do take a drive up to Lindale, you will be able to sample some of the cheese before buying. I don't think Moore Wilson allows free tastings unless there is a special promotion on the day you visit.

Paraparaumu, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

If you do venture to Lindale you will not only find kapiti Cheese & Icecream, but other stuff too. There is Artel, that sells NZ art and gifts (not the cheesy, touristy type either); Honeymeisters, with tastings of their meed available and the very best of all..........Lindale Farm & Barn (I admit that I am biased, being one of the co-owners)! While you enjoy your icecream you can hang out with all our very friendly farm animals, large & small - from bunnies to big Highland Cattle, they will all eat out of your hand. And don't forget, no trip to NZ is complete without getting up close and personal with some lambs and sheep! Most of our sheep and lambs are hand reared so definately among the friendliest you'll ever find!!!! We hope to see you there!

Paraparaumu, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

If you do venture to Lindale you will not only find kapiti Cheese & Icecream, but other stuff too. There is Artel, that sells NZ art and gifts (not the cheesy, touristy type either); Honeymeisters, with tastings of their meed available and the very best of all..........Lindale Farm & Barn (I admit that I am biased, being one of the co-owners)! While you enjoy your icecream you can hang out with all our very friendly farm animals, large & small - from bunnies to big Highland Cattle, they will all eat out of your hand. And don't forget, no trip to NZ is complete without getting up close and personal with some lambs and sheep! Most of our sheep and lambs are hand reared so definately among the friendliest you'll ever find!!!! We hope to see you there!

very rural Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Art & Craft Gallery and local cheese shop?

Thanks! We will put Lindale Farm on our list. I grew up on a sheep farm in Colorado (Suffolks.) Am married to a city guy so this will be perfect for both of us. Thanks to all for the local foods tips in Wellington. I would never have heard of Kapiti ice cream without TA.