We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellington or move around

Shanghai
Level Contributor
302 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Wellington or move around

I've got seven days to spend on the North Island. Flying into Wellington. I'll be renting a car and doing a bit of travelling around. I plan on spending the most time in and around Wellington, possibly taking the ferry over to the South Island to explore Malborough. Ideally I'd like to base myself out of Wellington and make short trips out. Is this feasible for places like Malborough and Napier? Or would it be better for formulate some kind of loop?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wellington or move around

Hi, welcome back to the forum, and NZ :)

You could do day trips from Wellington, or plan a loop. Why not plan both and see what appeals most?

Re getting the ferry across to explore Marlborough, a point to consider - it can be expensive taking a car on the ferry, twice! If planning a couple of days in the SI, you might be best to hire a car over here.

When do you plan to travel? our winter or summer? If here in the warmer months you could fly into Nelson, spend a day in Abel Tasman National Park then bus to Marlborough, then the ferry back to Wellington - a 3 day trip.

Hope this helps :)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wellington or move around

You can day run out of Wellington quite easily with the exception of going to Napier you should ideally stay overnight as it is around a 5 hour drive each way. You could visit Marlbourgh by catching and early ferry to the SI and a late ferry back to Wgtn.

day trips out of Wellington can include Martinborough and the Wairarapa. This trip could replace Marlborough if wine is your attraction.

Trips to Foxton, levin and Lindale on the Kapiti Coast could take another day.

If you go to napier thats another couple of days taken care of.

There are enough activities in around Wellington to occupy another couple of days and your week is almosr gone

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellington or move around

Re Flying to Nelson for Able Tasman. There is a local air company in Golden Bay (Takaka) which do daily flights to & from Wellington. Schedule varies depending on time of year. They also have aircraft available for charter flights. In Takaka, they have several hire cars for short term local hire.

www.goldenbayair.co.nz/

Edited: 20 May 2012, 22:00
Shanghai
Level Contributor
302 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellington or move around

Oh yeah, Sorry - forgot to mention that we will be travelling Sept 30th to Oct 7 or thereabouts.

I'm not worried at all about finding enough to do around Wellington. Quite the opposite. I'm wondering if going to the South Island overnight is a good idea. My original plan was just to explore out from Wellie as a base and do day trips but with the expense of the car ferry and the hassle of taking a rental car over and the distance involved it might be too much travel.

Ditto for Napier. I really would like to get up there and do some exploring but it seems like at least three days is justified. I don't want to end up spending the whole trip shuttling from one place to another. I'm constricted in the total time that I can use to get down there.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
302 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellington or move around

Thanks WL :-)

Appreciated your help a lot on our last trip down to the South Island. I'd absolutely love to get down there again, but due to time constraints I might have to just be satisfied with a quick tour up in Blenheim area and then the rest of the time on NI.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wellington or move around

yep, Wellington will easily fill your time.

take a wander around Zealandia too, it's lovely www.visitzealandia.com/site/zealandia_home/

Rather than heading over to Blenheim, you could do a day tour and visit some vineyards at Martinborough http://www.martinborough.com/

enjoy :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wellington or move around

You could visit Napier and the Wairarapa in a 3 day loop.

Day 1 - to Napier, arriving early afternoon. Stay overnight.

Day 2 - leave Napier early afternoon to drive to the Wairarapa. Stay overnight in Greytown or Martinborough.

Day 3 - late afternoon drive back to Wellington.

This would give you some time to sightsee in both places, perhaps visiting wineries or looking at local scenery (Te Mata Peak or Art Deco in Napier, Cape Palliser in the Wairarapa), while leaving enough time to see Wellington.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
302 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wellington or move around

Cheers for all the advice guys.

Hmm.... Looks like I'm re-considering the Ferry Trip in favor of doing something closer in to Wellington. A lot may depend on the weather too.

Looks like there are plenty of vinyards and wine country sprinkled throughout the NI. I might do Wairarapa and Hawkes Bay instead.

So much to do and such limited time!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wellington or move around

I think it will be NZ school holidays end of September - early October. You may like to bear that in mind in making your plans.

Selsy's post (7) would work well, you could even stay two nights in Napier, then stop off at Greytown on your way back to Wellington.

Something like :

day 1 : arrive Wellington

day 2 : Wellington

day 3 : drive to Napier via Levin / Palmerston North route

day 4 : Napier

day 5 : drive to Greytown (Wairarapa wine country)

day 6 : drive to Wellington (approx only 1hr drive so you would have the afternoon at least in Wellington)

day 7 : Wellington / departure

Shanghai
Level Contributor
302 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wellington or move around

How about ending the trip in Wairarapa and going direct to the airport from there?

I.e. Stay up front in Wellington, Up to Napier via North route, back down to Greytown and then direct to airport from Greytown? Is the airport on that side of town? I'm assuming if we had a late afternoon/evening flight this would be feasible?