We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal then international flight- luggage check in

Devon,England
Level Contributor
47 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Internal then international flight- luggage check in

I am planning my trip to New Zealand and am considering flying from Dunedin to Christchurch for my flight home with Emirates. Emirates allow 30kilos luggage weight, but I think internal flights only allow about 20 kilos and also weigh hand luggage. Is there an airline which will allow me to check my luggage right through to the UK from Dunedin, and not charge me for my luggage being overweight on the internal flight?

I am guessing that because it will be different airlines, I will have to collect and re check luggage, and they will make me pay any excess weight, but hope someone may know a way round this!!

Fort Riley, Kansas...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

I was going to ask a similar question, especially regarding flights from Wellington to Christchurch

Devon,England
Level Contributor
47 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

It looks as if I have posted this in a Wellington forum, not sure how that happened. Hope someone can help, travel agents seem to give me different answers!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,856 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

The issue is usually if you have one ticket, or rather ticketed as one journey. I usually get my luggage checked through from CHC to HKG via AKL. However unles syou are emigrating I consider 30 kg to be excessive luggage. How can one person carry this. I travel for 6-12 months at a time & have never exceeded the 23 Kg limit (most weight is food I crave in China!). If your travel agent can't help you, seriously consider reducing the weigh of your luggage!!

Devon,England
Level Contributor
47 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

I certainly hope to be nowhere near the 30 kilos weight, but I may well be over the 23kgs allowed! It looks as if I will have to hope my husband travels as light as he usually does and not buy too many things on our trip!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

If you book your trip as one ticket, then you should be able to check your bag in at Dunedin airport, and have it go all the way to the UK, even though there might be a change of airline along the way. If your preferred airline is Emirates, ask them about a ticket from Dunedin to your destination in the UK. Bypass the travel agents and find out directly from the airline.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,158 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

I am with Selsey here check with your International airline. There are alliances between airlines which treat each airline within the alliance as one and becuase of this there are extra allowances made for connecting internal flights to international flights. For example I understand that if one is flying through the USA you are allowed two bags with no weight limit ( or you were) but one has a 23 kg limit if one flys through Asia. Different strokes for different folks and there are now differing classes of fares which give different entitlements.

Ask the experts thats what they are paid, by the airlines, for.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

Bean----AirNZ has a limit of 23kg for flights via LA,even in Business class but they allow 2 or maybe 3 bags.We have always found that if you are on one ticket the international allowance holds for the whole of the journey including domestic leg.

We have always flown in to Auckland but have had a domestic leg at some point on ticket.Never a with luggage on the domestic flight.

Even on a code share flight,the allowance you start with will hold for the whole journey.

Whole journey must be on the same ticket though.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

I take it from your post that you are travelling with your husband? If you are on a separate ticket for the domestic leg, and do have to check your bags in both Dunedin and Christchurch, Air New Zealand will usually let you weigh both bags together (so you have 46 kg in total).

This certainly used to be the case the past but I haven't tested the theory lately - although if you are up towards 30 kg they may expect you to re-pack across both cases so the poor baggage handlers don't rupture something!

If you are flying on a separate ticket on Jetstar or any other airline, be prepared to pay excess baggage, and check in early.

Devon,England
Level Contributor
47 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will ask Emirates what they say, but as we have already booked our flight home to the UK, I think this flight will be seen as a seperate one and we will be bound to the 23 kgs of weight. I will just have to travel light I think, or drive up to Christchurch!

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Internal then international flight- luggage check in

Air New Zealand has really cracked down on overweight luggage, even if you are willing to pay the $50 overweight baggage charge they will still ask you to repack your bag to try and get it down under the limit, unless it is a solid piece ie computer/recording equipment. I was advised by our business direct rep that it is a health and safety issue.

Edited: 10 September 2012, 03:37