We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sightseeing March 2013

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New South Wales...
Level Contributor
57 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
sightseeing March 2013

We are cruising into Bay of Islands and find some of the tours offered by the cruise lines are the same as the local operators but 1/3 more expensive. Do you know if any of the operators meet the cruise liners at the docks with suggested 3 hour tours.

Aussie traveller

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sightseeing March 2013

Why would you ask questions about the Bay of Islands in the Wellington forum. As you have identified the local operators already contact them direct

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
57 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sightseeing March 2013

This was an error I made and realised later and reposted the question. Thank you for pointing this out to me. Have a happy day helping us novice travellers...

toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sightseeing March 2013

Can I use the local buses in Wellington to go to Victoria and Weta caves or should I buy a ticket for the hop-on-off bus or can I walk? I am staying at the travelodge on Gillmer Terrace.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
137 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sightseeing March 2013

Yes, you can get a direct city bus to quite close to the Weta Cave from Lambton Quay (the main street right downhill from your hotel) - bus route 2 headed for Miramar, and the Weta Cave website has directions and a map showing the short walk from the bus stop: http://www.wetanz.com/cave/. It's far too far from the city centre to walk.

I'm not sure where you mean by Victoria - Mount Victoria lookout? Victoria University? If you mean the lookout, the route 20 bus for Mt Victoria goes almost right to the top, but it only runs about once an hour and you'll have about 20-30 minutes up there until the next bus leaves. I'm not sure how long it would take to walk - you could possibly catch the bus up and walk back down when you're ready, as Mt Victoria is a nice suburb to wander through.

In either case, come down the Plimmer Steps from your hotel, cross Lambton Quay and turn left to find the bus stop for both routes.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sightseeing March 2013

Wendy, if you do catch the public bus up to the top of Mt Victoria, it is possible to walk down through the green belt and down to Oriental Bay. You can see more information about the walk here

…govt.nz/recreation/…southern-walkway

Don't worry, it is not the full four hours. From the top of Mt Victoria down to the bay is maybe about an hour, going at a leisurely pace, and there are cafes and ice cream shops at the bottom. It is very scenic, and parts of it were used for the LOTR movies.

6. Re: sightseeing March 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:16