We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping at Balaena Bay

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
375 reviews
Save Topic
Camping at Balaena Bay

According to today's DomPost, the council have decided to put a stop to campervans parking in the Balaena Bay carpark, basically because of some stupid, selfish and inconsiderate campers.

stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/8225749/Resid…

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

Yes, what a shame that some have spoilt it for others. It always looked such a great spot to park and so close to the city.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

I suppose the City Council will now see it necessary to increase the already expensive camping fee for their inner city overnight motorhome park.

There are some obnoxiously selfish people with out any conscience walking this earth. All we can hope is that the old adage of what goes round comes round will eventually effect those people!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

So I wondered who it was who publicised the bay - see post #19 tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255115-i911-k3937…

and in related news - still problems with idiot crapping campers odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/243558/freed…

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

I have in the past recommended Balaena Bay but the small parking area is not big enouigh to hold up to the reported 25 vans. Half a dozen is a more realistic number but if the few who use it donrt have consideration for the neighbours then unfortunately all will miss out. From the reports I have read the annoyance of neighbours is not an isolating incident but appears to be ongoing so it gets put out of bounds. The van users will now have to pay $50 per night to use the park on the waterfront.

This is another case of Freedom Campers have little or no respect of the environment around them. Now everyone loses.

Wellington
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

The Freedom Act Camping Act ( 2011) made all previously existing NZ councils regulations relating to camper van overnight parking null and void on the 1st Sept 2012. After the 1st Sept 2012 the ONLY restrictions that could apply to camper vans were those introduced according to the strict criteria set by the above act that ensured councils and their amazing nonsense restrictions ended ( became illegal ). The above Act specifically forbid " blanket camper van " bans by councils. For any restrictions to be imposed the council must show cause ...street by street or location. That's what has happened in at Balaena Bay and is only valid once signs are posted . The above Act also specifically states that in no way is pulling over to rest / sleep because of drivers fatigue to be restricted.

If the councils breach your rights you can sue them under theNZ Bill of Rights . I strongly recommend reading the Freedom Camping Act . It's all there in plain English and you can usually find its content online. This wonderful piece of legislation cleaned up councils and made it vividly clean that you can sleep in your vehicle or camper van for 1 night virtually anywhere . Resting is not camping.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 21:27
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

If campers at Balaena Bay had confined themselves to sleeping or resting, then there wouldn't have been a problem. Anybody reading the Freedom Camping Act might also like to check out what the Resource Management Act has to say about excessive noise, and the measures councils are legally able to take to control excessive noise. As well as looking for rights, it might be an idea to check for obligations under this act too. Just a thought...

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

Suffice to say I wouldnt fncy your chances not being awaken in the early hours and told to move and probably get a ticket as well if one continues to Freedom Camp at Balaena Bay. Our parking wardens are contracted to do a job and they do it very very very well. Sorry I meant very very very very very well and officiously.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

"This is another case of Freedom Campers have little or no respect of the environment around them. Now everyone loses."

Bean B41, as a occasional 'Freedom Camper' I take exception to your lumping all Freedom Campers in the same basket. Most of us take pride in leaving a campsite as we found it and taking our rubbish away with us. We have a fully compliant motorhome and get totally p. . . .d off by the selfish, dirty, inconsiderate, self absorbed lowlifes with no conscience, no consideration for anybody other than their own immediate needs.

May their vehicles cause them major financial problems and may their own cr-p stick to their shoes!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,554 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

A walk on the rocks yesterday at Houghtons Bay (Wellington) was spoilt by finding c***p and toilet paper in a crevice. Since there are very nice public loos there I can only assume this happened after the loos were locked for the night!. There was no "No camping" sign in the car park.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping at Balaena Bay

Valgee its not a case of lumping all Freedom Campers into one lump its a case of Freedom Campers crapping in their parking spot and as such no one can park there anymore. I vcan see a time fast approaching where Freedom Camping will be banned totally throughout the country and freedom cxampers have no one but themselves are to blame. People like yourselves in fully self contained vehicles are bearing the brunt of the irresponsible.

Get answers to your questions about Wellington
Recent Conversations