We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship in port one day only

New York
Level Contributor
422 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship in port one day only

The ship will be in Port between 8 AM and 5 PM in April. We are active seniors. For one thing, we would love to take the cable car from Lamton Quay to the Botanical Gardens. How would we get there from the Pier? Anything else you can recommend that is a manageable distance from the Pier that we should not miss?

Please make any suggestions as you think of them.

Thank you.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cruise ship in port one day only

I have just returned from a cruise visiting beautiful Wellington.

I would say the comments about walking from the pier to the cable car are VERY subjective. I am a fit 45 and was going to walk but ended up on the ships shuttle and was glad I did. The walk is along a very busy road - nothing picturesque about it through an industrial/ port area on one side and a stadium on the other. And I think for even me at my age to do that to the cake car spot in. 20 minutes would require walking at a fair speed and not ambling. The bus took 10 minutes at least.

And this doesn't discount rain or wind. So it is walkable but I question the 20 minutes just to save some money on the ships shuttle.

If I can make one final comment- go first thing when the ship as we did as whenwe also came back downtime queue was down the lane way entrance compared to a queue of 10 or so when we went up.

12. Re: Cruise ship in port one day only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 06:16