We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Ferry Advice

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Need Ferry Advice

I'm feeling a bit panicked because I just checked ferry schedules and see that some of the times when I was planning on crossing are already sold out....so, I think I need to figure this out quickly:

Would it be too much (as in too exhausting) to try to arrive from the US in Wellington and catch the ferry across on the same day? It is "mathematically" possible given arrival and departure times, but I'm not sure it is practical.

I'd also appreciate any recommendations in terms of one ferry over the other (Bluebeard is less expensive than the InterIslander) but are there other things I should consider in choosing?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Interislander
Interislander
3,325 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
1. Re: Need Ferry Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 22:35
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Ferry Advice

Thanks -- I suspected that trying to it all on one day would be a bit much...the stress is coming from finding things already booked (we will be there late May/early June) and that is dictating some of the trip plans in ways we hadn't quite expected.

So our arrival time in Wellington is about 9 AM and there is a 2:30 ferry pm.

I thought perhaps if we crossed our first day, that might give us an extra day in the far south -- but it just might not be possible.

3. Re: Need Ferry Advice

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Ferry Advice

Personally I would pick the ferry that had the time that best suited. The differences just come down to personal preference of detail.

If you are not trying to get a vehicle across you should get on most crossings outside the key peak seasons around school holidays.

Wellington is one of the more interesting cities in NZ with a lovely "buzzy" feeling. It would be a great stop over.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Ferry Advice

There are also two ferries that you can check out - Interislander and Bluebridge.

You won't be able to get very far if you have an afternoon sailing. It will be about 6pm by the time you arrive, so you'd have to overnight in Picton or Blenheim. It might be dark, you'd be jetlagged and you'd be driving on the wrong side on unfamiliar roads. Stay in Wellington overnight, and catch the the 8:30am ferry. You'd get in by about lunchtime, so all you'd lose is the morning.

Mentioned in this post
Interislander
Interislander
3,325 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Ferry Advice

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I'm still not sure what the differences are between the two ferry lines (other than price). The schedules are almost the same.

On another thread Wanaka Lakes posted a you tube video of a rough crossing. I understand that it is hard to predict and one day be calm and the next rough, but I'm wondering how rough the crossing might be "on average" the end of May, even with all the caveats that come with averages.

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps flying into Nelson instead of Wellington might make sense given our tight schedule?

Global Travel, Dallas, do you do a round trip when you rent? We're hoping to get the car in Picton and leave it in Qtn or Dunedin to fly back to Auckland.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
7. Re: Need Ferry Advice

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Ferry Advice

End of May is the end of autumn. You might get some storms, you might not. The actual open ocean part of the trip is only about 1.5 hours. If it's bad, go outside, get the freshest air you could ever experience and admire the rugged Wellington coastline. The Sounds are really sheltered.

I really enjoy the drive from Picton to Nelson, especially through the very scenic Queen Charlotte Drive from Picton to Havelock. Flying is of course an option, but there are a number of trade-offs to make - cost, speed, convenience, photo opportunities. It's really up to you to decide what trade-offs you value most. Personally, I'd ferry and drive every time, and I'd only fly if on business.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Ferry Advice

Thanks for the car recommendations, we usually try to use local rather than international corporations for car rentals, but with all the pick up and drop offs perhaps Hertz is the way to go -- I'll definitely check that once I know for sure when and where we need the car.

Weta, I don't mind a little rough water, but it there are huge swells, I don't think I'm going to feel safe going outside. I'm just trying to get a sense of how typical rough vs. smooth crossings are, especially since waiting an extra day to cross means a long drive to make it up on another day.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Ferry Advice

Check out Apex car rentals. They have offices in both Wellington and Queenstwon, allow their vehicles to be taken across the ditch and in some instances will pay the ferry costs.