We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Wellington

bucks uk
Level Contributor
93 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Wellington

Hi there, Hoping some locals can help me out.

We have 3 nights in Wellington or nearby Dec 23-26 this year and plan to visit relatives in Tawa during this time.

We have an early flight (8:30) on 26th and will need to drive to the airport and drop off the hire car first and hence I cant decide where to stay:

AAmana motor hotel - near Tawa and out of town but probably 40min to airport on 26th.

Eastbourne - nice B and B/home rental with great views but 30 min to Tawa and to airport?

Or do we stay in the city and find a quiet hotel with parking (if this exists) and if so how long to drive to airport?

really hope I can get some insight and advice as to where to stay.

We are 2 adults and 2 kids and will have driven to Wellington from Rotorua on 23rd so a long drive.

thanks

M

Mentioned in this post
Tawa
Tawa
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

I'd only suggest staying in Tawa if your plan is to spend a lot of time with the relatives./ If you're planning things for mainly central Wellington with a quick visit to the relatives, then stay in central Wellington. There doesn't tend to be a whole lot of pressure on hotels over Christmas (they have a large business and political clientele) so you should be able to get some good deals closer to the time, maybe even free parking.

The airport is only 8 kilometres out of town and traffic will be light when you'll be driving - even from the north end of the city, figure on 20-30 minutes. Is your rental to be dropped at the airport or nearby? You'll need to add time for that process as well.

As for Eastbourne - its really your call as to whether you want to be that far out. You could get a hotel on Oriental Parade and have similarly nice views and easier access to more things.

Mentioned in this post
Tawa
Tawa
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
bucks uk
Level Contributor
93 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Thanks for this.

Our car is to be returned to the airport.

Having read your comments I may wait until nearer the time to book something.

We plan to be with relatives on Christmas Day and so that only leaves us the 24th as we will arrive late on 23rd after the drive from Rotorua and so I guess we want to be near places to go to eat too - especially as its my birthday on 24th!

Thanks again

M

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

We stayed at the Boulcott Suites, which is an apartment style hotel, really nicely equipped, and in a great location for everything in central Wellington.

With light traffic it would be an easy 20 minute drive to the airport (maybe even less)....

For convenience and less stress in the morning that you fly out, could you consider dropping your car at the city depot the day before, and just getting a taxi or shuttle to the airport in the morning ??

Mentioned in this post
Boulcott Suites
Boulcott Suites
407 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,442 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Staying in the central city is just as convenient to your relatives' house as staying at Mana, and a whole lot more convenient to everything else. Eastbourne is pretty but miles away, although at that time of the year, traffic won't be a consideration. If you're spending Christmas Day with your relatives you will need your car to get there, so I'd hang on to it and drop it at the airport.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Yeah - sorry I re-read your post and see you are not actually wanting to stay in a hotel on the 25th, immediately before your flight, but just the 24th....

So, definitely a city centre location - as per my previous post, but ignore what I said about the car.....

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,670 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Friends recently stayed at Apollo Motel on Majoribanks St, barely 1 minute's walk from Courtenay Place. Nothing flash but the location couldn't be beaten in that price bracket. Easy to climb Mt Victoria, walk to Te Papa & Oriental Parade etc.

bucks uk
Level Contributor
93 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Thanks everyone who has posted- I will look at Apollo and some other centrak options that have parking available.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Wellington is quite a compact city, very easy to get around. Some of the hotels as far back as the Terrace have excelent views across the harbour if you get the right room. (far enough ahead you could request one)

The biggest collection of cafes is in the Courtney Place area. Personally I would go for somewhere very central. Wellington is a Government and Business place, sou over the Christms period you should be able to pick somewhere quite nice. Places like the Novotel and James Cook have parking and there are plenty of secure parking buildings but you may have to pay. There are quite a few motels around the Apollo, but without much of a view.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Check out reviews on Wellington hotels for a more broad based critique. Plenty to choose from.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Wellington

Wellington is a very compact city and it is easy to walk around the central area,. I would definitely recommend the city centre. We have stayed in the James Cook on several occasions and it is very central. You may wish to take a look at the Museum Hotel fro somewhere a bit different

www.museumhotel.co.nz

For deals have a look at:

www.wotif.co.nz

For B & Bs have a look at:

bandbassociation.co.nz