We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we hire a car instead - parking???

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
356 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Should we hire a car instead - parking???

Thanks to forum ppl for help on the public transport question.

Having considered doing what we would like to do in Wellington (including laundry) and using public transport to get about, would we benefit from hiring a car for the day.

We are in port (arriving on a cruise ship in November) until late at night. If we hired a car, but still wanted to go up on the cable car and visit Te Papa are there parking options?

It would give us more flexibility, but may or may not be practical.

I also wondered (if we found we had time) how easy/quick is the route out to Massey Memorial. We do enjoy scenic drives, but this may be unrealistic in terms of time getting there and back.

It is one thing to think Wellington is small so it's easy to 'do' everything, but it's an entirely different scenario doing it, so I value local advice/input.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
314 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

Car parking is very easy at Te Papa there is a pay car park there and one next door and 2 more over the road and an average cost is $4 per hour. At the bottom of the cable car you will need to either park in a car parking building which would be $4-5 per hour or the street but it can be a pain hunting for a carpark and it's $4 per hour max of 2 I think. At the top of the cable car is a car park with small fees and then some zones of Coupon parking which is free for 2 hours but students park there in term time so you may have a 5-10 minute walk back from Kelburn shops area coupon parking zones nearby to the cable car. Pleasant though the village is tiny but has 2 small cafes too. You could drive to Massey Memorial in 15 minutes easily from town around the bays which usually doesn't have traffic problems. Nice views.

Not sure where the easiest car hire will be for you in the port area.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

Wellington is small, so if you don't plan to leave the city it would probably work out no more expensive taking a few taxis and walking the close bits, by the time you add parking, petrol and collision damage waiver insurance to the car hire.

Massey Memorial has nice views and the drive around the peninsula is pretty, but I think there are better ways to spend a day in Wellington. If the weather is bad, Te Papa and the City Art Gallery are good places to be. In nice weather, stroll around the waterfront, take a ferry to Matiu/Somes Island or across to Eastbourne, or go up the Cable Car, down through the gardens and shuttle to Zealandia would be my choices.

If you really feel like a drive, the south coast has more interesting scenery IMO.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

Wellington parking will be like Sydney's. Sparse and expensive. I personally think a car will be a hindrence to you unless you want to do some of the scenic drives.

There are a few car hire places at the ferry terminal, which will be about a 10 minute walk north of where your ship will dock. You'd also need a GPS as you will get very lost otherwise. We have lots of one-way streets and bus only lanes.

I'm wondering whether a backpackers would let you use their laundry facilities? Downtown Backpackers is opposite the railway station and there's a YHA near Te Papa. They often have coin-operated machines. Perhaps email them and ask?

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

Actually, Leeds St isn't very far away. Perhaps go there at lunchtime, and have lunch at a cafe in Cuba St while you wait.

Wellington
Level Contributor
357 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

I'm surprised the laundry service on the cruise ship wouldn't take care of your laundry, but I wouldn't know.

One thing I do know is that if one were available on the boat, I probably wouldn't spend time at a shore stop finding a laundromat.

Cuba St and Courtney Place (and the associated area) are great for food outlets and bars.

The entire coast road, from the ferry terminal, past Oriental Bay, Evans Bay, the Miramar Penninsular, right around to Island Bay is very scenic, and could be driven in about an hour an a half, plus stopping times. If you were to do this, I'd hire a car rather than a taxi, unless you could negotiate some kind of charter rate with a suitable driver. (I find Kiwi cabs generally real good, and a reasonable price. The company is run by a group of owner-drivers from Iraq. I think they represent their homeland - and their adopted country - well.)

On a weekend, there are no parking charges except for in parking buildings. Time limits still apply.

If it's a nice day, definitely take in the views from a high point. Mt Vic is probably one of the better ones.

Depending on how you like to do what you do, if it's a real nice day, I'd even forgo the drive around the bays, and just walk the area between Queens Wharf (about 2km from the cruise terminal) and Oriental Bay. You can hire bikes, or 4 wheel bikes, even sedgeways (I think) which would make perambulation easier. Te Papa, plenty of bars and cafes/restaurants, museum of sea, there's plenty to look at in this area. The road up to the Mt Victoria lookout runs East opposite the end of Courtney Place. You wouldn't walk this one, or cycle it. You could, but it's time consuming.

Hope that helps.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

The cable car is probably only a 10-15 min walk from the cruise terminal and takes you up to the botanical gardens. It's a beautiful place to spend an hour or so, with some great views over the harbour. Weather depending you could walk to Te Papa via the waterfront which is a fantastic walk (if it's not raining and windy) and would take you 20-30 mins at a leisurely pace. As others have stated, I would recommend the Mt Vic Lookout walk. It's a very pleasant walk, winding up, up and up, ending at a 360 degree view of Wellington. From Te Papa you can walk to the lookout via Oriental Parade and the beach (again very scenic and some great cafes). It can take anywhere from 1-2 hours to reach the top. Or you can take a taxi up and walk back. In my opinion, there's plenty to do in Wellington without the hassle and expense of hiring a car. Hope this helps.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 20:52
Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
356 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

Great suggestion about backpackers weta. No harm in asking.

Unfortunately tarq not all ships have a laundry. Ours has a laundry service - for a price! We do lots of hand washing on the ship but we often find we need to factor in some laundry stops - we may manage, but I want to be prepared. In Wellington we leave very late so it would be a good place to fit it in.

Frassino, you have provided some useful information regarding timings. We are not averse to walking around. I think we could probably take the #2 bus to Leeds St or Elizabeth St (wherever the laundry happens to be - still not sure about Leeds St, will have to phone) get the laundry out of the way and still have more than enough time to do other things. It's perhaps a bit of going backwards and forwards, we shall see.

As I said I like to have some ideas in mind then make adjustments when the time comes.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,662 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

Hi,

>>Unfortunately tarq not all ships have a laundry. Ours has a laundry service - for a price!<<

OMG do they make you "work your passage too"? Tough with the rowing if the winds don't blow (not likely in Wellington). I thought transportation had ended?

Cheers,

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

So glad to find this post, I think I am doing the same cruise as you Vaycee, we are travelling on the Voyager of the seas in November and were also interested in hiring a car. After reading the posts I don't think we will but I was wondering could someone answer for me what happens with Infants in taxi's? We are travelling with a 2 nearly 3 year old, when we have been in Sydney some taxi's won't take us because they don't have the baby car seats in the car. Is it the same in New Zealand/Wellington or will we have no trouble getting a taxi?

Edited: 13 August 2013, 03:12
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we hire a car instead - parking???

See http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/law.php