We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

I am planning to visit New Zealand in April for 2 weeks. Flights were not being booked. I am still consider where should I start.

If start at Wellington, the flight will arrive at 13:15 and I plan to take Coastal Pacific next morning. Museum is always my favourite. Is that too rush to visit Te Papa and the city in one afternoon?

If I visit after a loop of south island, I will arrive Wellington at 16:30 and fly to Rotorua next evening at 18:10.

Which one would be better?

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

Second option is best - you will need many hours to enjoy the museum, it is huge!

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

Thx, Rantin rover. I will discard option 1 and continue the planning.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

Definitely go for your second option.

Wellington is a very pleasant and compact city which is easy to walk around - you could spend the best part of a day in Te Papa. The Cable Car, Zealandia (Not walking distane from centre - take bus or taxi) and the Botanical Gardens are all worth a visit not to mention the very nice cafes and restaurants that are to be found in the capital.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Wellington Cable Car
Wellington Cable Car
5,190 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,915 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

There is a free shuttle bus to Zealandia that also does a pick up at the top of the Cable Car so you could ride the Cable car up & then visit Zealandia for an hour or 2, then return to the iSite, a few minutes walk from Te Papa.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington Cable Car
Wellington Cable Car
5,190 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Hong Kong, China
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

Thx, lonekaurilodge & zhuhai2007.

I have no idea what Zealandia is in first place coz it doesn't mention in my guide book. After searching, WoW, that is lovely.

There is a night tour offered by Zealanida and will start at 20:15 which I may able to join. Is it recommended in April? If yes, I will book the night tour, have Cable Car and walk tour next morning, then Te Papa. If no, I will stick to zhuhai's suggestion and give up the walk tour.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington Cable Car
Wellington Cable Car
5,190 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

It's a very underrated city Wellington. If you are a foodie there are some great places to eat. Check out Fidels in Cuba street for something a little more funky. There are some great restaurants along the waterfront near Te Papa as well as a brewery. The cable car is a great option and the walk back down to the city centre through the Botanic gardens is wonderful.

Oscar

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
A flying Kiwi
Level Contributor
19 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

Hi there

In April the night temperatures will be cool so make sure you have packed warm clothing. We still have days of beautiful sunshine so don't forget sunblock.

Wellington is a beautiful city and is really easy to walk around and is well serviced by public transport. check out http://www.wellingtonnz.com/ You will find a plenty of free activities on this site too!

Enjoy Wellington. It's not the world's coolest little capital city for no reason!!

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
F J
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

One afternoon and evening is enough in my opinion. The Wellington area is very nice-- really one of the most pleasant areas in the world where one could live a daily life-- but downtown there isn't a lot of must-see things. With your second option you aren't getting that much more time anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
747 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

On the contrary, I think downtown Wellington has a lot to see and do, for example a walk around the waterfront and along to Oriental Bay is a gorgeous walk taking in great views, architecture etc. Parliament is an interesting place where you can go on a guided walk and then wander up the road to Thorndon to see all the beautiful architecture again. Te Papa of course is an interesting place to spend time and there is also the Museum of Wellington City and Sea. As others have mentioned there hundreds of cafes, galleries and shops to explore as well. If you take a bus you can quickly travel to the suburbs by the sea such as Lyall Bay, Island Bay etc or explore Aro Street, Holloway Road for a taste of history. You will never be bored.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Oriental Bay
Oriental Bay
836 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Lyall Bay
Lyall Bay
108 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Island Bay
Island Bay
87 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
F J
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

It's certainly a nice place. The waterfront is very, very nice-- the view is great and the walk down to Oriental Bay is wonderful. Personally, I'd skip or breeze through Te Papa and go up to the botanical gardens and walk down the side which leads to the rose gardens.

The city architecture is bland. The bars and cafes are 'okay', nothing special. And to be honest, if you have to include that ugly parliament building in your highlights then perhaps it's time to rethink.

Mentioned in this post
Oriental Bay
Oriental Bay
836 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand