We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

I am planning to visit New Zealand in April for 2 weeks. Flights were not being booked. I am still consider where should I start.

If start at Wellington, the flight will arrive at 13:15 and I plan to take Coastal Pacific next morning. Museum is always my favourite. Is that too rush to visit Te Papa and the city in one afternoon?

If I visit after a loop of south island, I will arrive Wellington at 16:30 and fly to Rotorua next evening at 18:10.

Which one would be better?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

If you just want to see around and walk through beautiful streets, one afternoon is more than enough but there are several interesting places you can see around and if you do those then you need more than one afternoon.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
343 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

I agree you could see the highlights of Wellington in an rushed afternoon, but there are many places that you can easily spend a lot of time at.

The last overseas guests we had spent two full days at Te Papa alone.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,174 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

If you like museums, then both Te Papa (the national museum) and Wellington Museum of City and Sea are worth visiting. If you are in Wellington on a Thursday, Te Papa is open until 9pm.

In addition, if you go up the cable car, there is the small but interesting Cable Car Museum at the top. Another museum that could be interesting is the Reserve Bank Museum which features an early computer, the Moniac, which was invented by a New Zealand economist.

http://www.rbnzmuseum.govt.nz/

F J
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

Just to be clear so i don't hurt any Wgtn feelings--

NZ is a big place and due to the roads and lack of trains it takes a lot of time to get around and see everything. Because of travel days and airport days your two week vacation essentially becomes a bit shorter-- 12 days or less.

The Wellington area is one of the nicest "cities" I've ever been to, but to devote too much time to the downtown is a mistake for a vacation traveler. I certainly wouldn't change my travel plans to include another day there-- thus taking away from somewhere else-- but any day spent there will be enjoyable.

Personally, if i had the extra day in Wgtn i would either 1) rent a car and drive all around or 2) take a tour which shows you the entire area. Mt Victoria would be my first stop because that gives you an essential overview of the city and the area.

But all in all, I would say any downtown visit in the big cities in NZ should be kept to a minimum. There is just too much to see in that country and it takes a lot of time to see it. And if you are going to both N and S islands-- don't even think about using much of your valuable time in downtown Wellington, Auckland or Christchurch.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'm really surprised still got replies from a several weeks old thread.

By now, I will take the earliest flight from Rotorua and leave to Christchurch next day. Te Papa and Zealeadia is still my priority. Unfortunately, that is Tuesday which the museum is close at 6pm and the night tour is fully booked. If I can finish both in 9 - 6, it sounds good to visit some more museum. If not, having a leisure walk along the waterfront, then end up at a restaurant for a fine dinner is also a great idea.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

The more time you can spend in Wellington the better! Ok, I'm slightly biased as it's home. Te Papa is huge and you could spend 2-3 hours each day for a week in there and still not see it all. You'll need to pick your top must do's before visiting I think. Otherwise, there's lots to do in the city with a few of my favourites being:

- strolling Cuba Street, browsing the funky shops, watching entertainers, trialling the many, many excellent cafes and coffee shops

- walking/hiring a bike and exploring the waterfront and Oriental Parade

- walking up to Mt Vic Lookout for 360 degree views of Wellington

- taking the cable car (or walking) up to the Botanic Gardens (again, fantastic views)

Check out the Wellington section here, it might be useful: http://www.travelinspired.co.nz/wellington

Nottingham, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

The Parliament buildings are worth a visit. A guided tour gives a lot of information about the capital city. They show how the foundations have been 'altered' to cope with earthquakes - do you know Wellington is built on a major fault line? You would need two days to glimpse the main places.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 20:14
18. Re: Is one afternoon enough to enjoy Wellington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:15