We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or credit card

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Cash or credit card

Hi,

Are credit cards widely accepted for things like taxis? I'm trying to figure out if we need to get cash or if we can get use our credit cards for most necessities.

Thanks.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,915 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or credit card

You will need small amounts of cash - not much point paying for a newspaper with a CC. Check also on the fees your bank charges per transaction to work out the break-even point. NZers tend to use plastic for most transactions - it often surprises me how many people pay for a single cup of coffee with plastic, but it is different if you have to pay fees.

I would withdraw the max you can in one transaction at the airport on arrival ($300 or $500?) and use cash for small transactions .

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or credit card

Taxi companies in Auckland do accept credit cards. But just about all charge for the privilege - some very reasonable, a few exorbitant. So it would pay to check.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,219 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or credit card

Apart from retail stores nearly everyone else is starting to charge for credit card transactions. Visa and mastercard around 1.5%, Diners and American Express if they are accepted around 3%. Visa and mastercard are the most popular cards in NZ

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or credit card

In Wellington, both Wellington Combined and Green Cabs charge a flat $2 extra for credit card payment.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Tauranga
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or credit card

They may be charging for credit card use in Wellington, but I've yet to see it in Tauranga. Funny mob down there though, so I'm not surprised.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Tauranga
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash or credit card

Well cssr, according to post no 2 you will find a similar "funny mob" in Auckland too.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
7. Re: Cash or credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 05:16